Forum for kitesurfers
kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kruzlifix » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:01 pm

I just read an article in a german kitesurf magazin about the "fifth" line attached to the center of the fronttube.
With big kites it should fascilitate water relaunching in low wind condition and in heavy wind it can be used easily to depower the kite.
My question:
can it substitute as a kitesafety line? what will happen in high wind when the kite is only kept on a line going to the center of the fronttube?

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved
Has thanked: 0

Postby randykato » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:24 pm

hmmm.... i have no idea what would happen - that's the scary part. by releasing to one line attached to a wingtip you get a predictable result, but with a line like this it's hard to say. the main problem is that the kite is still in it's powered-up state (symmetrical C shape) and therefore can potentially produce power - especially if the weight of the other lines and bar dragging in the water create enough drag to maintain it in an upright/flying state.

another thing to keep in mind is that this area of the kite is not designed to take much stress, especially not in the direction of pull this would require. the wingtips, however, are designed and built for such stresses.

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:50 pm

May be someone has already some experience and knows how the kite behaves with 5thline...
well, at least the new naish kites come already with somewhat sturdy 5th line attachement point...
andreas

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hernan » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:55 pm

This is for the "pump leash". It holds the kite when you are using both hands for pumping.
A fifth line to the center of the LE could help with relaunching and also with breaking yor kite in two. (bad idea)

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:37 pm

Hey we all hold our kites by the center when we walk up the beach and they just flutter with no power and don't break in two etc.

I think this will work well for snow kiting with inflatables. Last year I had a 5th line to a 2 point bridle to two back struts (like the Wipika AB bridle) I didn't like using this because you are taking off backward right in the powerzone (danger danger!!!) and sometimes the kite does get high enough and doesn't make the turn and crashes. I think the 5th line to the front will make for much more controlled relaunches on snow. It will be just like on the water.

I will attach the line by wrapping a wide piece of webbing over the LE and under the center strut, there is a gap in the attachment to the canopy at the front, then back over the LE.

I'll let you all know how it works..or if some else has tried let me know...
thanks

-Peter

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:53 pm

well, walking up the beach with the kite upside-down is one thing, but i mentioned the stress on this area in response to the idea of using it as a depowering leash.

i don't think the aero ii attachment point is meant for much more than pumping up the leading edge.

i like the idea of a front center line for snow kiting relaunches, this seems like it would make using our water inflatables on snow much easier. let us know how it goes. and the center line attachment point would be under less stress than when kiteboarding on water since you're not so powered up on snow (smaller kite for same wind).

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:59 am

On 2002-11-27 23:37, ptraykovski wrote:
Hey we all hold our kites by the center when we walk up the beach and they just flutter with no power and don't break in two etc.

-Peter
Picture this: LE down, wind blowing, you pull at the line connected to the center of LE; perhaps it helps to roll the kite on its back but puts lots of stress in the structure.
Of course, I may be wrong.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:06 pm

The Aereo II has a fifth line attachment point on the trailing edge, they say for snowkite relaunching.
If the kite lands trailing edge down just depower and the kite should relaunch straight out of the centre of the window, in light wind hold the depower on the bar and pull down hard on the bar.
Works with a fuel
Jo

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:14 pm

Hi Jo,
Conventional fifth line relaunching is used attached to the trailing edge, like wipika's relaunch bridle. Here we are talking about a LE attachment (pump leash) used to help on relaunching (for get the kite on its back, I suppose). As you say, if the kite crash trailing edge down, you could relaunch it pulling hard from the fronts.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:15 pm

Yeah I know, don't know what you need a leash for the pump for though and don't think it's a good idea to use another line attached to that point, sounds like a good way to rip yer leading edge apart, especially if it ain't designed for it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-28 12:18 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”