All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The interesting thing about my experience at Fort De Soto was that it was not too difficult launching & controlling the kite: I was able to walk to the water unassisted carrying my board & when I was in the water with the kite at zenith I was not getting teabagged. On the other hand, I have had experiences with bigger kites in lower winds getting seriously overpowered quite quickly when the wind picks up.

The 6.3 AB (about 8.5 flat I think), has a tremendous depower range which helps a lot - I think that as with small windsurfing sails, you are able to depower more effectively in the gusts than with a bigger sail/kite.

The tricky thing is to watch the speed of the kite: when you pull the trigger to jump you have to immediately bring the bar back otherwise you'll be flying backwards in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:12 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
On 2002-11-28 09:36, Anonymous wrote:
the AB 6,3 in high twinds up to 10 Bft. is quiet easy to ride, but it is very fast.

Shure you have to avoid abrupt moves at the bar and jumping is possible.

But - as the 6,3 has a very good lift you have to careful not to snatch it during the jump - it is very fast and reactful - if so you will fall down like stone.

c.u
niko

up to ten?
stop dreaming!
i've took the 6.3 near nine beaufort and was pretty much near my limit.
in ten beauford, you'd not stand at the beach, you'd search for shelter somewhere. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

jo:
i had a day with a 6.3 with gusts of upper 8 bft. pretty scary ..
i once steered the kite wrong for a jump and flew about 30m downwind, hitting the water @ high horizontal speed. on the first hit, my wakeboard was ripped from my feet and i bounced of from the surface like a pingpong ball. when i regained control and stopped bodydragging, i was about 70m downwind of my board, had a soaring pain in my chest (hard to breathe and for a moment i was unsure if a rib was broken) and my feet burned (because of the unusal exit out of the wake-bindings).

so i suppose it's no problem to get an out-of-control voyage of some 200meters in these conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i wonder how many people actually use a wind metre multiple times during the day when they are out on the water.

and how many bullshit.

force 10, with a f-in teabag on a string maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm not sure of the Beaufort scale (which people do not use in North America) but I would agree that 9 or 10 is probably too much.

On the day I was talking about, people took wind readings throughout the day & it was consistently around 35 knots with gusts above 40 ( I think that's about 70 to 80 kph).

I think almost more important than the wind strength is the consistency: a small kite in very gusty conditions could be very dangerous, as it would be constantly overflying & then dropping down into the power zone.

I am not a super macho dude, but I was surprised how manageable the wind was. I've always thought anything above about 25 knots would be too radical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

High winds are interesting because if you go inland it can get like real gusty due to the winds rebounding of hills, cliffs houses etc.

However if you go on the coast then you may have to contend with some pretty mean waves.... where even you go just be careful. Admittedly windsurfing gets really good once it well exceeds 30 knots.... live to kite another day.

But in 25 knots kiting is pretty sweet as.

BLOWN AWAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey Flyboy, you have stolen my post!!
H M is to M is mine! And is registered!

(joking)

Hernan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:15 am 
Frequent Poster

@Murdoc
whats your weight ?

wether you can ride a Airblast 6,3 or a 4,9 up to 10 Bft depends on your weight.

With 85 kg I fly the 6,3 up to 9 Bft in gusts 10. It is very controllable.

A fellow of mine is much more lighter than me and took the 4,9 when I used the 6,3.

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2