Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Low Wind Kite??

forum for kitesurfers

motorssuck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby motorssuck » Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:59 am

I was wondering what kind of kite I would look for to use in low wind and with a pretty good range. Also, I am just getting into kitesurfing and was wondering how the difficulty compares to windsurfing if anyone know. I already have done a lot of windsurfing.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:31 am

With kitesurfing the conditions play a bigger part than with windsurfing... I used to windsurf in anything including zero wind, can't do that with kites.

However the learning curve is steeper and with the right gear you'll grasp the basics really quickly... after about a year you should be pretty sussed.

BLOWN AWAY

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:35 am

By "sussed" I mean jumping well and doing the odd basic trick, intermediate stuff really.

As for a good lightwind kite. I use a 20m AERO. The kite relaunches well for such a big kite and pulls hard and isn't hard to fly. Some foils go really well too. flysurfer have a lineup of foils that can be depowered and are very big and powerful. In general foils fly better than tubes in the reallight stuff...

BLOWN AWAY

Jan:)
Medium Poster

Postby Jan:) » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:38 am

Its amazingly easy compared to windsurfing.

When learning it feels like 1 week kiteboarding is like 1 year of windsurfing, at the beginning at least.

I started this year end of august and did some good jumps including decent landings by mid october.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:22 pm

If you want a kite with the biggest range and easy to learn on you have to look at a moderate aspect kite in sizes around 15.
Bigger sizes have more low end but they are not kites for learning (too much power and very difficult to relaunch).
If a friend of mine ask me this question I would reply, get a Slingshot Fuel 15.

Learn to kite is easy compared to windsufing. You will be doing backloops in the time a windsufer is learning how to use the harness.

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:24 pm

a 12m kite and 6-7 ft directional is the best way to start if you have not already been kiting for a month or two. Even a 15m would be a lot of power to handle for someone learning, and the secrets of lightwind kiting are best learnt after you have mastered a highwind kite in medium winds.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: BestKiteboarding.com

Postby sq225917 » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:24 pm

directional...?
get a grip.

don't bother learning to jibe again.

Kansas kitesurfer
Rare Poster

Postby Kansas kitesurfer » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:25 am

I would go with a well built medium aspect 4-line kite. A kite between a 12m2 and 18m2 would be a great place to start. anything bigger and your greeness to the sport could cost you. The G-spot from Gasstra would be your best bet. It water-starts almost by itself and is extremely stable. As you progress you will appreciate some of the characteristics the medium aspect brings to the table like: turning speed, lift/drag ratios, and luff ability. As a bonus their extremely affordable and built like a brick shit house... you can pick one up this time of year for about 1/3 of retail!

hope this helps
Eric

mauidragon
Rare Poster

Postby mauidragon » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:04 am

I weight 130 lbs In light wind I 'd been using the litewave 169 and with the naish
13.5 (AR5) I get going at 7-8 knots ,I think about the Hydro 13 any comment

thx jojo

niko
Frequent Poster

Postby niko » Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:23 am

it is much more easy to learn kitboarding on a directional than on a Twintip / wake.

* the directional plans much more early
* beginners can choose a smaller kite, which is more controllable for them
* the directional can later be kept as light wind glider
* beginners are not forced to practice jibing on directional. When they can glide, they can switch to a TT.

Return to “Kitesurfing”