Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Has thanked: 0

Postby Rossall » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:43 pm

"run towards the kite" either Jesus has started kitesurfing or I'm missing something, anyone else out there able to walk on water.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:28 pm

Yep Jesus is kitesurfing... he's teaching me how to kitesurf at the moment..... what's also great is that he gives me a solid 25 knots no variation what so ever, no crowds and great weather. I never get injured and if I ever did he'd heal me on the spot.... :grin:

BLOWN AWAY

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:31 pm

In regards to that running towards the kite thingy... I'm talking about shallow water relaunch where you can actually run sorta....

For the deeper stuff it's much harder and you have to give the lines a harder jerk or fling to get the kite up.

Best option is to ditch the kite in 30 knots and then it'll relaunch by itself :smile:

BLOWN AWAY

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:55 am

On 2002-12-10 09:10, EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY wrote:
Hey Fo, How ya doin ?
Being that you know about Laminar Boundry Flow, Do you know the Eddy Diffusivity co efficient ?
Hey ed not bad,
What is the E/D coefficient?

redsc1
Medium Poster

Postby redsc1 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:39 am

Hi

I posted a question similar to yours a few weeks ago (see above) as I had just bought an Aero 8m, and despite everyone telling me the Aero was easy to water re-launch I could not get the hang of it….

However a couple of months on and it’s a different story… I can now re-launch from the water with out any problems. This is what I finds works for me.

1. Make sure there is enough wind. Sounds silly but I found that in very light wind the kite will fly Ok but there may not be enough to water re-launch (I would imagine this is true of all kites)
2. So assuming there is enough wind….Once the kite has crashed onto the water, it is important to let it drift immediately downwind of you. You can help it by moving round until the wind is directly blowing on your back. With the Aero make sure you do this step first.
3. Again assuming there is enough wind (if the kite is immediately downwind and you simply can not get it onto its back no matter how hard you try there may not be enough wind), get the kite onto its back by sharply jerking the bar towards you (it helps to pull it back over your head) and then either run (in shallow water) or swim quickly (and I mean quickly) towards the kite with the bar extended towards the kite at arms length (to get as much slack in the lines as possible). Depending on how strong the wind is (the stronger it is, the easier the kite will flip over) it may take you two or three attempts to do this. Remember the Aero must be immediately down wind to do this.
4. Once on its back, you now need to encourage the kite to move to one side of the window for launching. To do this, either swim or walk slightly downwind while moving to the left or right. At this point make sure you keep some slack in the lines. You will find that with a bit of encouragement the kite will start to move on its own to the edge of the window and will start to form a crescent shape.
5. At this point you must keep tension on the lines that are attached to edge of the kite that is still on the water. Otherwise the kite will just flip forward onto it leading edge again (I had this problem for ages and couldn’t work out why). In other words if the kite is moving to the left edge of the wind window (as you look at the kite) the left hand side of the kite will be in the water and right hand side (as you are looking at the kite) will be in the air. Make sure you keep tension on the left hand lines, and that the top lines (right hand side) do not get too much tension and pull the upper edge back over into the water.
6. You should then find that once the kite has got to the edge of the window and you have tension in the lines on the lower edge of the kite it will get to a point where it starts to accelerate and tries to launch. You will know when it is ready to launch, and now simply do the opposite with the lines and pull on the bar to put tension into the upper lines (in the example these would be the right hand lines) and it should re-launch.
7. Be prepared for a sharp body drag as it re-launches.

This is the method I find works for my Aero. It may not be how other people do it or would recommend but it works for me and my kite. Any more problems drop me an email.

Polux
Rare Poster

Postby Polux » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:55 am

I have an X2 12 and I relaunch it from the water very easily.
First of all, the kite must be with the leading edge donwn (nose down). Then you have to cut (bring to you) like 2 meters or more one of the rear lines (depend on what side you want the kite to relaunch. i.e., the left line, red one). The kite will start to move to the left side and the wind will make the kite to starting to turn over. When you see that the kite is starting to relaunch, but it doesnt go, you let all the line go, and now bring the right side of the bar (blue one) to you. The wind will do the rest, the kite will relaunch very easily.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:21 am

I dont understand all these questions about relaunching a kite of size less than 12. These kites are for high winds so they should not normally stall if they are used in their wind range. I am not saying that kites dont stall but this is very unlikely to happen in a small size kite. If you find out you are underpowered dont try to fly the kite anymore, land it and wait for better wind. You can only damage your kite flying it underpowered and anyway it is not fun at all going underpowered. I am not even an intermidiate rider (kitesurfing for only 6 mounths, with AERO 10) but a I have never dialed with a waterrelaunch situation in deep waters simply because i cannot ride to deep water if the wind is too low. I have dropped my kite many times and have reaunched it only when the wind was good enougth to ride my board, in all the other cases i just pack and wait.

Kitesurfing is fun only when flying well-powered

redsc1
Medium Poster

Postby redsc1 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:54 am

Yes but don’t forget that while some of us are learning we don’t necessarily use the kite in the wind range it is designed for. In my case I have an Aero 8m, now some experienced riders say they will ride it in 25kts (and above) where there would obviously not be a problem water relaunching.

But for me I don’t feel comfortable in much more that 11 to 15kts, so there may well be some days when I go out with not quite enough wind to relaunch the kite. Bear in mind though that I am only just at the stage where I am trying to get up on my board.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: redsc1 on 2003-01-21 11:55 ]</font>

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:20 pm

When underpowered then it's time to practice relaunching and getting better at kiteflying.... no matter how good at kitesurfing you are....

If the winds are playing around a bit (ie they were 20 - 25 knots before and now they've dropped to 10 knots) the chances are they will return to their former speed again (25 knots :smile: ) .

If the winds piss around I'd rather just walk in and change my board as opposed to changing my kite... relaunching is dependant on how windy it is... things just don't seem to go right when it's too light... but when windy it's just that easy it's just like majic... I dropped my 7.5m AR5 in deep water in 25 - 30 knots over a year ago and it relaunched by itself straight away.

BLOWN AWAY :wink:

gaffer
Frequent Poster

Postby gaffer » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:56 pm

I agree in winds above 25 knots its difficult to keep a kite down not up, as impossible as it seems I had a 5m maniac relaunch itself perfectly from the leading edge down position in 30 knots. Only trouble was that I was not hooked in and not ready for it so the bar got ripped out of my hands, shortly after that I got munched by a big set and released the kite to let it swim in on its own.

Return to “Kitesurfing”