Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Poll. Helmet or not?

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:13 pm

I wear a helmet called a "Deluge" that I bought in my windsurfing days. Started wearing it windsurfing on those big days (30knots +). Then realised that it was useful to keep me noggin' warm on anything other than really hot days.

Always wear it kiting, especially after being hit really hard by my board on the side of the head one day.

The thing about the Gath is: does it really have to be designed to look SO nerdy?

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:19 pm

Depending on the conditions I may or may not wear a helmet. In really underpowered stuff I sometimes go out without a helmet.... to reduce weight perhaps? Probably not...

With a board leash the board can and does find it's way to you head in the wild stuff.... I use a helmet in any powered up stuff... BUT I also lose the board leash... board leashes are dangerous, especially with small light wakeboards like mine.

BLOWN AWAY

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:23 pm

On 2002-12-05 17:13, Flyboy wrote:
I wear a helmet called a "Deluge" that I bought in my windsurfing days. Started wearing it windsurfing on those big days (30knots +). Then realised that it was useful to keep me noggin' warm on anything other than really hot days.

Always wear it kiting, especially after being hit really hard by my board on the side of the head one day.

The thing about the Gath is: does it really have to be designed to look SO nerdy?
The Gath Helmet does look nerdy in some ways but when I'm flying high I don't really give a #%%#$ how nerdy I look.

A great thing about the gath helmets is the ear covers... another reason to use a helmet.... aklbob knows about this.... burst eardrums aren't good.

BLOWN AWAY

jpkiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NJ ( Lakes Bay, Brigantine, Tuckerton)
Favorite Beaches: Lakes Bay,NJ
Brigantine,NJ
Dock St. NJ
Florida Flats, Key West
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Epic kites, BRO-KITE POP 130X 40, HEIN custom boards, AXIS Vanguard+Nuskool, Kokotat drysuits

Postby jpkiter » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:55 pm

i work in the ICU's ( intensive care unit).., imagine this; 1.) 2 tubes stuck up your nose..(one in each nostril)..2>) a breathing tube down your throat ( about the size of a garden hose)..3.) multiple IV's for fluid resucitation..4.) a catheter stuck up your privates cause your kidneys have shut-down + WE need to worry about your hem0-dynamic status....at this moment ..i dont think you would care about nerdy....i hope i never see my kiteboarding friends in the ICU.. respectfully...jane

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:00 pm

i don't wear one, but theres nothing for hundreds and hundreds of metres where i ride.

if i was out somewhere less than suitable i'd don the lid.

they are essential while you learn and also if you have a board leash.

mantismaster
Medium Poster

Postby mantismaster » Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:45 pm

I wear a helmt simply because they look cool and chicks dig them

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:10 am

On 2002-12-05 21:00, sq225917 wrote:
i don't wear one, but theres nothing for hundreds and hundreds of metres where i ride.

if i was out somewhere less than suitable i'd don the lid.

they are essential while you learn and also if you have a board leash.
I wear my helmet because it protects me from crashes on the water...water is hard too when you hit it at speed... if you knock yourself out on the water.. chances are you'll drown, and that's if your kite isn't dragging you to sure at a crazy rate of knots while your peacefully in dreamland (out cold).

If your dragged into a solid object at speed by a powered up kite... I wouldn't bank on a helmet to save my life, not even from head injuries as the impact would be too severe...

A helmet saves you in the minor spills, common sense from the major ones... :smile:

BLOWN AWAY

Jordanis3r
Frequent Poster

Postby Jordanis3r » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:23 am

i wear a gecko one - keeps my head warm in the uk in the chilly water - plus you can't hear your mate screaming "shark" (j/k)

just had my new dakine impact vest/harness delivered yesterday - seems comfy enough prancing around the living room - its built like a tank comapred to my body glove impact vest -- and so nice ... still got a pony NON stainless safety knife tho' - you would of thought this would a priority to em' ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jordanis3r on 2002-12-06 09:25 ]</font>

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:51 am

Always use a lid peeps, I do. its obvious why, but while i'm on the subject, I'd want to say that most of the lids I've seen used in kiting, only offer either impact protection or shock absorbance, none to my knowledge protedt you from both the board splitting the lid And, the weight of the board hitting you at speed.

anyone know of one thats not too heavy to be used in kiting ? thinking about an ice hockey one, but still not sure about the shock absorbancy (done by polystyrene).

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:43 am

For impact and shock absorption, i use a THIRD POINT brand. He only makes them special order now for previous customers. But it's basically a glass epoxy shell with minicell lining. You sand the lining to fit your head...always comfy, tight , and no hot spots. i took a nice hit with it and it totally knnocked me silly, and shredded a spot the size of a nickel. Even though I did get a mild concussion, there was no permanent damage to my head and I was able to repair the helmet. The protecs that I Used before and the Gath that I have seen but not used would not have worked. Their material is too thin and flexy and their inside cushion is not much for hard knocks. Check out the Grateful Head line of whitewater helmets at http://www.gratefulheads.com. Most epoxy/kevlar proprietary layups are $100. so for a stronger helmet that gives better protection, what's another $30? An you can also get customs colors to match your board pants!

Return to “Kitesurfing”