All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:43 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey Guys/Gals.

As most of you know, I'm still fairly new at kitesurfing.

I have a fear in the back of my mind, and was wondering if anybody could offer any advice, or expiriences on it.

If you bail out there somewhere, maybe quite a ways from the shore, (or even close, it doesn't really matter), and you get tangled in your lines. I have a fear of getting tangled in my lines if I bail, and not being able to get out of them, or swim.

Is this common? Has it happened to anybody? Are there any good preventive measures to avoid this?

Any feedback, is really appreciated.

Cheers.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:58 am 
Medium Poster

Get a hook knife! They come with most kite specific harnesses now. What also works is a tool designed to cut your seatbelt (if your car goes under water etc). Since I have an older harness, I picked up this type of knife at a knife shop and it came with a sheath that fits perfectly on my harness strap. I haven't had to use it yet thankfully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:43 am 
Very Frequent Poster

hey blown away ideally you dont get caught in your lines but if you do. ALWAYS carry a knife ready to cut your lines if you do get caught. Mind you i have been teaching a few classes myself where the kite is brought up behind my back when i have not been expexting it and my inital response is to ground the pilot and give them a serverstalking down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:51 am 
Medium Poster

A Hook knife is definitely the way to go. A good one is the z-knife. I carry this for skydiving and kiteboarding, and I have noticed it has been modified for scuba diving.

I carry mine attached to one of the straps on my impact vest where I can easily reach it. You should buy one from your local dive store (as opposed to the skydiving ones) as they have modified the pouch and strap to be more water sport friendly.
http://www.diverite.com/products/tools/knives.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: redsc1 on 2002-12-13 04:52 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:09 am 
You want to stay the heck away from your lines. if you can touch slack kite lines in the water, you have a problem. you could be seconds away from losing an apendage.

If you drop your kite, keep tension in the lines. If it falls back onto you in gusty wind, swim like made to get away from it.

As you get better, it will become less and less common for you to drop your kite. And when you do, it will usually only be when you have blown a trick and it will luff temporarily and then power up so the lines stay slack.

if you need to swim to your kite, ensure that the kite isn't going anywhere, and then only lightly touch one line. Be ready at all times for the kite to power up.

A friend of mine lost the tip of his finger from this.

I had the kite fall on my once, and ended up covered in kite lines. I then felt the kite power and kite line caught arounf my leg slide past my foot. I held the bar and got lifted 3 meters in the air. If the line had caught I could have lost a foot and died of blood loss.

That was 2 years ago, and I have not been near kite line in the water since. I rarely drop my kite, never let go of my bar and am alwaysd conscious as to where the kite will fall and where the lines are.

...And I have a hook knife in my Dakine Harness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:39 am 
Frequent Poster

.... Yeah shure, I have a hook knife in my dakine....
I thought so too and when I needed it, it the blade was completely dissolved...
Please check the knifes once in a while and especially the cheap dakine one's need a lot of LTC ( rinsing after saltwater exposure, grease etc...)
andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:10 am 
Rare Poster

Get a knife!!!! get used to find it out in extreme conditions, otherwise you won't find it when needed.
It is difficult to get tangled when the kite falls but it is rather possible to get tangled when you try to reach the kite when the wind drop off and you have to swim back on the beach.
It happened to me once and I was like a sausage. The lines once wrapped on any part of your body(legs, arms, harness) are impossible to remove. Panic is next door!!!!
Believeme I'm still thinking to that moment with fear.
Buy a knife, better two of them.
You won't need it probably but would you by a car without seatbelts and airbags abthough you are not suppose to need them.
Fly safe and this matter is really a key poit
Cheers
Niks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:47 am 
Frequent Poster

I thought once in put over my leader lines a hose to prevent tangled.
does anyone tried this before ? put over the leader lines a hose of 2 meters
fabio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:31 pm 
get a knife and practice with it, so when the s.h.t.f. you know what to do.

that said, if you're careful with the kite, getting tangled in the lines won't be much of an issue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:47 pm 
B/m Always saftey first! Lines can be trouble.
take care when you pull a leader to get your kite off the dead down wind spot, once i was sloppy and did not notice a small hairball tangle in a leader and water launched my kite. Zoom bam, opps,
Do not be afraid so much as mindfull of the danger.
After all we accept many risks to kite, This is just one more.
A cool head and a watchful eye will serve you best.
fo

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next