All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:52 pm 
Medium Poster

Hey Blow,

Like someone already said, if the kite falls, try to keep tension in the lines so they don't drift around you. To do this, you should swim UPWIND to get away from slack lines until you get them sorted out and are ready to relaunch.

I carry my dive knife on my seat harness. It's flat, lies flush with the harness right at my hip, resists corrosion, and will cut through any kite line/fishing line/whatever else may be out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:54 pm 
Rare Poster

When I was learning earlier this year, the wind dropped, I tried to wind up my lines but found it difficult with the breeze pulling the kite. So I swam for the kite, kicking as I went. By the time I reached the kite by ankles were bound tight. I managed to swim in with my free arm. It took me 10 mins to get the lines of my feet when back on the beach & 3 hours to untangle the lines.

I went out & bought 2 knifes after that incident, scares me to think about what would have happened had th kite powered up before I reached the kite - drowned for sure!
I am lucky it happened really because I was learning fast & getting quiet confident too quickly. Made me think more about the dangers.

I heard a tip whereby by you clip the bar to your board & let this drift away as you work your way to the kite. then swim back letting the board & lines trail behind - anyone tried this?

I recently bought a DaKine Harness/Impact Jacket, which comes with knife, but to be honest it is absoulte shite quality compared to the one I already have. I would have thought they could add a decent stainless knife when you consider the jacket/harness was £150. On the plus side the jacket is a perfect fit/warm & doesn't ride up as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Tone, long time no post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:41 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey ThanX Guys.

I will be getting a knife soon. From the sounds of it, it doesn't look like its a huge problem, but can happen (obviously).

You guys are Great!

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:38 pm 
Rare Poster

Greeny!!!!!!

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

If you are in the water trying to wind up your lines to swim back to shore, you should wind up only one of the back (or turning) lines until the kite is flattened out. This prevents the kite from powering up unexpectedly and prevents the constant pull from the wind. Now you have no pull and winding the rest of the lines will be fast and easy.

Maybe you did this but from your post, it didn't sound like it. Just want you to be safe.

Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:44 pm 
Rare Poster

Greeny!!

You can also grab the wingtips of the kite (once you get the lines wrapped up and secured) and hold it in the launch position. It will slowly pull you back to shore. Best if you undo both lines at one wingtip for safety.

Only do this in light winds, in overpowered conditions it is better to swim in.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:50 pm 
Rare Poster

Greeny!!!!!!

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

If you are in the water trying to wind up your lines to swim back to shore, you should wind up only one of the back (or turning) lines until the kite is flattened out. This prevents the kite from powering up unexpectedly and prevents the constant pull from the wind. Now you have no pull and winding the rest of the lines will be fast and easy.

Maybe you did this but from your post, it didn't sound like it. Just want you to be safe.

Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:06 pm 
Ho yo, greeny alternative better meathod,
kite down out of luck,no relaunch possible lee shore approching fast, kite ripping branches, sharp rocks, eeeck what to do?
just tie the depower to a foot strap (I have a small clip for this purpose) leave the board and bar and climb up the lines to the kite. your done! once you have the kite you can handle all the hazards. park the kite then get the bar and roll um up.
Ps. use your head if its nuken, don't do it!
I use this trick to fix a tangled kite or
save it from trouble. Like i said use your head.
fokiten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:53 pm 
Frequent Poster

had similar problem when out !
had to self rescue as kite got tangled in gusty wind
i had to swim to kite as very scared about relaunched with half the lines in! any way got severely tangled and just made it to shore.
problem was the water temp as not far/moderate hypothermia!
get a knife and practice -i had a good dive knife but still very difficult
check out incidents on http://www.kitesurfing.org once its back up and running under BRANCASTER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:47 pm 
Yo
Im a little taken by the knife weilding throng?
What is up with you slashers?
I guess you all get balled up in your lines?
whatever?
managing a downed kite is pretty simple! I mean its a downed kite, if it is not, relaunch it?
If you get the line bath plus a quick unexpected relaunch your, I would say, out of luck with or with out a knife.
Now i quess Im anti knife? So whats new?

I read extreme all over this tread,

It's just a kite, you know how it works, just use your head and don't go extreme on me! slash/and/learn/learn not to slash/
You extreme kiters make me shake my head and chuckle?
extreme is not a sport it's a personal problem shared by rookies and experts!! Distinguished by veiw points far to the left or far to the right of the center of understanding!
Understanding that you create your own situation!!
You then either enjoy it or suffer from it.

Use your head not your knife!

eudiquewad's out.

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next