Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

hawaii, january to june - help with lots of stuff!

Forum for kitesurfers
he-man
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby he-man » Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:33 pm

i´m going to hawaii in januar and i´m planning to stay fr a VERY long time.

i´m from europe so i can´t get a working visa.
i´ve heard though that hostels sometimes let you work for food and romm, is that true?

is there any other jobs i could get, like maybe work like a carpenter?

how are the conditions from january to june?
i´ve heard winters means big waves and a little less wind and summer lots of wind but small waves, is that correct?

how many days a week does it blow enoguh is the real question i guess?
i´m probably gonna pick up wave-surfing while i´m there.

do a lot of people come here for the winter from all over the world or do most peple stay for a month or so.

please help, i´m in need of fast help, thanks in advance and happy kiting!

he-man
Rare Poster

Postby he-man » Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:17 pm

also, is maui recommended or should iperhaps try oahu?

is maui really crowded?

are there any big cities on maui?

is honolulu on oahu and is it a nice city?

where are the best parties?

once again happy kiting!

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:43 pm

i won´t say, i want maui for me...

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:46 pm

i´m in kind of the same situation. i´m going there for three months, i´m from denmark.

please help us oh wise americans!

he-man
Rare Poster

Postby he-man » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:43 pm

somebody has to know something. help, please!

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:03 pm

Dude, Maui has alot of transients. Lots of people go there and find work illegaly for cash without too much trouble but its gonna suck like dishes for 6 bucks an hour etc. There are notice boards all over the place in Paia with ads for housing and cars and employment. Also the MAui Bulletin ( maybee on the net). I am not sure what its like now, I've been gone for 2 years. One of the hostels is Bananna Bugalow in Pukalani. I am pretty sure they have a web site. Also another place that I like more is Jeromes in PAia next to the general store. Don't expect to find much work there dude and take enough money to buy a car and get by for the whole time you are there or you might not have such a positive time. Overall MAui is a great place to go, a little hard to get ahead if you are not too legal. Good luck
Aloha Royce.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:04 pm

PS JAnuary and february can be a little sketchy on the wind but I will Guarantee you some huge surf. MArch April may on is killer winds.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:26 pm

you kind of contradicted yourself there.
first you said lts of people get jobs with low pay and then you say don´t expect to find wotk there. or did you just mean at Jeromes in Paia?

it´d be perfect if i could work just enough to pay for food and room there.

i don´t even have a driver´s license though i´m 22.
but is it necessary? no good buslines?
isn´t good kiting close...
or i´ll find some friends with a car...

i also saw a baywatch-"hawaii"-episode the other night and they were talking about some famous pipeline with huge waves, where is that?

is there good places with small waves so i can learn to surf waves or do i have to be skilled at it already?

i mean i´ve only been kiting nverer surfing but i i really want to learn that too.

and honolulu, how is it, size?
any other nice bigger cities, how big etc?

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:26 pm

thanx for your answer by the way!

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:38 pm

Dude there are like quite a few jobs for non legal stuff so if you are lucky you'll get a job but that was 2 years ago and I have heard rumor that the job scene is miserable now after Sep 11. So maybee you find work maybee not. But I would hate to see you expect it and find nothing. Pipeline is in Oahu on the north shore. A taxi from the airport to PAia is around 24.00 for a 8 minute ride. If you stay in Pukalani it is a 30.00 taxi to the beach where you will kite. If you stay in Paia its a long walk ( 1/2 hour at least to the nearest place to kite). Without a car you will be suffering big time. There are no buses or trains. Hono;ulu is a big city 2 or 3 million pop in the city or something like that I think. In MAui the biggest city is Kahului. Pop less than 50,000. You cannot kite in Paia because of rules on the beach. The best place to kite are pretty far from Paia if you don't have a car. Good luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”