chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby chirojoseph » Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:54 pm

this is for allyou guys tired of cold and rain and who dont have to be with grandma or wifey for new years. Our comp/festival will be form 29 to 31st..well be free kiting (and competing)in front of the Mayan ruins of Tulum and the next day in front of the very fun town of Playa del Carmen (one hour south of Cancun). There will be ahuge beach rave on the night of new years and we will try to fly the kites at sunrise for all the trippers on the beach. Prizes and prize money. Hotels not too expensive, camping, whatever your budget..

heres some info for those of you who keep asking about cheap places in the carribean for winter...the cancun area is going off lately with good winds and more and more local kiters. I recommend NOT to stay in Cancun though and go for either a hotel in the "riviera maya" (coastline south of cancun) or the town of Playa del Carmen or, best and cheapest, our town of Puerto Morelos 30 minutes south of Cancun.

We are hosting an international competition with prizes and prize money to be held one day in front of the ruins of Tulum (incredible blue water) and one day in front of Playa del Carmen (gateway to Cozumel) on the 29, 30 and 31st. Finshed off by a killer huge rave at the beach on the 1st where we will hopefully kite the morning while everyone on the beach trips their asses off. email me privately for details and inscription if interested.

the rest of this is a post to friend who asked me if I was happy and why with my 2002 fuel. I had the chance recently to compare it up close and personal with a few different kites and the 2003 fuel as well.

the 12 SShot is a wonderful kite in its wind range. Since I got a deal on it used from Jeff Tobias at ther Cabarete competition i bought it even though i already had bought the takoon 14 (10.5) from a different team rider. i figured id just come back to mexico and sell it and make a few 100 bucks for the plane fare. fat chance! i luv the thing! The Takoon has more low end and is probably the MOST arc-like inflatable out there. if youve flown the 11.8 Wipi youve got an idea. Its REAL responsive to sheeting...quite a "floppy" kite wit the LE VERY skinny at the tips and 7 struts. But it turns on a DIME with very little bar pressure.

The SShot of course has more bar pressure but much more stable kite with very constant pull. It seems sometimes that I boost higher with the takoon but its more like being shot from a cannon and you have to really have the kite trimmed nice (and keep trimming it while airborne) to get the perfect jumps which is hard now that im always doing board off stuff and deadgringos etc.) The sshot is like a big fat CLAW that just keeps you hanging for so long. and really, when its got the wind it needs, it boosts just as high if not higher than the skoop for me. The 12 is great for me between 14 and 23 knots...after that i just cant depower it anymore cause it holds its fat shape even if there is absolutely no rear line pressure.

I am planning on buying the 9 mt. 2003 for the 15 or so high wind days we get here per year. Im sure ill be able to hold the 9 up to almost 30 knots. after that, i dont really want to kite anymore.

long answer to a short question. yesterday i was able to compare build quality of norths, takoon, f1, wipika hydro, arc (i got a local woman here hooked on em and she luvs it), cabrinha and niash x2. It was the fullest our beach has ever been! The truth is, the 2002 Fuel was by far the BEST construction and everyone on the beach says it has the sweetest colors and graphincs too (mine is blue with the silver logo)

have flown the 2003 15 mt for a short bit but underpowered. Have to say i dont find it as visually appealing but the construction is EVEN beefier! Brought some ocean rodeos down form the states a few months back and they are the only kites that are ALMOST as well constructed as the SShots...but they are heavier i think.

SSHOT seems to be paying ALOT of attention to detail with really nice valve covers, abrasion guards all over, even the plastic winders that the new lines came on were like these silohuettes of a sexy babe sitting down with flowing hair and perky nips!! I couldnt believe it! I begged the new owner to give me one of the winders to hang on my rearview but he said no fucking way...he luved em too!

Go BIG or go home
ChiroJOE in Mexico

Has thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:56 pm

Is this for December?

busyboy
Medium Poster

Postby busyboy » Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:13 pm

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:42 pm

Hey Joe, howsit? What month is that contest of yours?

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:00 am

What about Progresso area??

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:43 pm

the contest is THIS month, december and finishes with the new years rave on the beach with good djs

yes its great here this time of year. Last night we did a full moon kite with 15 to 18 knots!! good fun.

go to ikaruskiteboarding.com for more infos

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:03 am

just back from playa today where i got some great kiting with joseph. Rode for about 1.5 hours this morning and 3 hours yesterday in perfectly beautiful cristal clear water, i will post some pictures tomorrow and write my experiences. Joseph was flying last night with the full moon and about 20 knots with his slingshot, huge jumps with a lot of hangtime, i counted 6 seconds on one jump.

This is not the best time for progreso, progreso is better from around january to april, june, july
Andres

Return to “Kitesurfing”