All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

from more and more people I hear, that using bindings the knees may get hurt, specially the miniscus. Any experiences?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

if you get ripped out of one binding, say goodbye to the knee which is still connected to the board.

you're tied to a 150x30cm board which can create a lot of pessure when dragged through the water by a kite.

and the weakest point where the pressure can 'attack' is the knee....

so pay attention - use bindings where you can get in and out easily and if not - use bindings that won't let your feet free ...

in some points, you can compare this to snowboarding.
(for example the lifts - where beginners ride one footed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:22 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yeah, seems knees are going thick and fast with bindings. I stacked mine back in sept. Didn't come out, didn't jump... just popped off a wave at speed with 11.8 low and powered and slammed back into an incoming set with legs too straight, knee went before the water surface tension. Done ACL before, ears back windsurfing but stuffed my ACL and meniscus. It's still shagged and sod going through more ops. I now ride with a full bore carbon hinged brace, does the job but still not ideal and gets quite painfull riding bad leg first in chop. Guess it's a long time coming, riding for 3 yrs 90% in bindings and well powered.

Same could have happened in straps, or ankle injury but I could've kicked off the deck and just splashed down.

Tip is if anything goes wrong like this and you are stuck in bindings just try and plant yer arse in first, it may look ugly but beats injury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:55 pm 
Medium Poster

i was thinking of getting a set of nsi bindings some time next year, but from what i've heard about full bindings, i think i will stick to my da kine straps. they are easy in, easy out, low frustration, and relatively cheap. i also noticed that a lot of the new wake-style boards are coming with straps and pads rather than bindings such as the new slingshot skate-style boards.
later,
rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Is the wide strap in the middle of the picture the answer?
Tests have been very positive.
I tried it too, but my feet are too big (Eur 46, US 13) and I can't fit with shoes. Maybe they will bring out adjustable ones.

[ 5 posts ]