Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to increase the hangtime???

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:20 am

A good jump for me and for a lot of us around here is maybe 7 meters. Anything much higher starts to get pretty scary. Pro kiters exceed 10 meters but it takes a lot of guts to be jumping that high IMO.

Stand on the 4th floor of an apartment building and look down. Your feet are about 10 meters above ground. A bad landing from this height can really hurt. This is definitely an extreme sport for those jumping that high.

I just don't want anyone to feel to bad if they aren't always getting 10m jumps.

Chris G

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cglazier on 2002-12-26 03:38 ]</font>

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigSmelly » Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:12 am

Windspeed, kitespeed through the window going into the jump, board speed, and good edge control, all contribute to getting bigger air. And to learn to handle all of these aspects at the same time, comes with practice, experience, and watching those better than you ride. I watch as many videos as as I can. Watch how the pros hold their edge, and then turn into the wind at the least second before launching into the air - IMO, this is the most difficult part to master, and in the end gives you the biggest difference in jump heights.

Think about this - you've got a nice solid 20knots, a kite large enough to be fully powered up, (these days all kites are fast turning through the window - if you pull hard enough on the bar) and you are cruising nicely over the water. Now you go into a jump, holding your edge until the last, swinging the kite to 1 (or 11) - no doubt you will get good height, BUT, and you will feel the difference I guarantee, if you can point the board into the wind just before lifting off the water, with a solid edge, you will go huge!!

On the other hand - take the above scenario, but change the word cruising to the word screaming. i.e screaming full speed across the water. Go into a jump now, and you will probably go huge no matter what, if all is timed well,... but point the board upwind, for some added pop at the tight moment, and you might just shit yourself, when you realize how high you are... :grin:

Frank and Toby, I agree with what you write - now add the last POP! It is not easy to master, and I am in no way a master, but I do manage to time a few jumps just right, and... well, :grin: says it all...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigSmelly on 2002-12-26 09:14 ]</font>

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:44 am

Thank you all for impressive explanation, illustartion etc... I'll be trying on the weekend hoping we'll get the right wind by then!

Yet, some more questions. When flying the X2, I feel that it likes to be flown with the center loop attached to the harness.. it some what loses speed when unhooked and fully powered. The kite tend to lose some of its responsiveness (is it a line length issue? all lines are equal in length).

Unlike the AB, when flying it you feel that it moves better when you pull the bar towards you a little bit (midway more or less) and hence you feel that before jump you better pull closer. Same for the Aero.

Hey BS, sometimes I kite south of Lebanon, why don't you kite north and meet middle of the sea!!!!!!! We can dream as u say!!!!!

Ciao,
Mo

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:45 am

You need to be well powered up. For me that means being able to stop on my board pull the kite to full power and have the lift or the kite in neutral hold me on top of my board. That means that while I am sailing I am fully depowered on the chicken loop or there is too much power in the kite. When I want to jump for max hang it is diferent than max height. Max height is alot of pop from the edge of the board and alot of kite movement. MAx hang is alot of speed on the water and smooth full power launches loading the kite alot for the last second only. It should be impossible to sail in the fixed loop at full power if you have the correct amount of power. The entire time you are in the air you need to be at full power with the lift of the kite parked directly above you. Hang all depends on excess lift over weight. If you are sailing powered up enough it will be really dificult to control your speed and landings will become critical. IN 17 knots you will be on a 14 or 16 depending on your weight for most new kites these days. If you are working the kite hard to get into the air get a bigger one.
Aloha Royce

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:03 pm

On 2002-12-26 10:44, Mo wrote:
Hey BS, sometimes I kite south of Lebanon, why don't you kite north and meet middle of the sea!!!!!!! We can dream as u say!!!!!
We sure can...sounds like a cool idea... hmmm :grin:

vestel
Medium Poster

Postby vestel » Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:37 pm

Hey Mo!

You need good timing that only comes with practice. If you are able to jump 2-3 meteres with moderate winds, immagine what you can do with strong winds. Tricks is a different issue, when you will be flying and having the time to realize that you are airborn, you will start doing tricks. The only drawback of tricks is you seriously increase the risk of injuries.
Have fun this weekend.

Vestel Out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”