Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tuning, and Maintenance for Your Wings.

Forum for kitesurfers
Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blow Me » Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:08 pm

Anybody know any good links to Tuning your kite, and kite maintenance?

Just been reading some of the threads, and don't follow all of it.

Cheers.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:18 pm

Blow me, what's the trouble?
over/sheeting ? no de/power?
semantics? lingering doubt?
tell fo all about it.
we can get through this,
we are here for you
bring it
fo

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:21 am

You can start with those if you want. :smile:

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KiteGlider » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:08 am

A couple simple improv one's,

Was testing a new throttle bar when the wind picked up and i ran out of depower. So landed the kite, and instead of having to find back line extensions, I just tied new loops on frontline then made a larkshead to pigtail. This shortened the front lines about 4in and i got my depower back.

The next one i call "Urban Guerrilla Kite Repair"
Had to change out my main bladder but was too windy at the beach, so i found a hotel parking garage, parked in the lower maintenance area, layed the kite down and finnished in about 10 min.
Have a work shirt, baseball hat, and tool belt handy to blend in so people think you're a hotel employee........

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:49 am

What about Aero 2's. When I am totally powered up ie bar closest to body, depower strap at full length. The kite seems to be over sheeted and loses power, is this the standard setting and purposed to that way or do I need to make a few custom adjustments.

phil.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:30 pm

Hey guys, I have adressed this depower thing many times and on threads with input by others on the same subject, so for a well rounded view do a search on fokiten, keyword depower, or slack, or pigs, or apparent wind
PS, the key to tuning is to insure that no gross oversheeting is possible when your done.
fo

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:00 pm

I find thatt iif im oversheeting, its symptomatic of not being poered enough, so there is need to extend the fronts more, cant do that if your strap is all he way ou and stiill yyou are over sheeting, so what worked for me was to tune the kite to the wiind a the ttime so that max power was a ttad further up the chickie line, tthat way ii can depower more pulling the strap in and fins a sweet spot while in flight.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:18 am

having said that, if yoou ride in liigh conditions and use naish, i have seen all the italian riders shorttening their depower line by 3 oor 4 iinches.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:33 am

On 2002-12-29 18:30, fokiten wrote:
Hey guys, I have adressed this depower thing many times and on threads with input by others on the same subject, so for a well rounded view do a search on fokiten, keyword depower, or slack, or pigs, or apparent wind
PS, the key to tuning is to insure that no gross oversheeting is possible when your done.
fo
Oh ooh - here we go again !

Fo is right - it has been discussed over and over this very topic, so a search should give you the answers.

But I don't agree that gross oversheeting should be a problem - if you can feel your kite. It is a personal choice of course - what you get best along with...
I prefer max. sheeting range both ways - without stops at the critical points.
Then I can choose my sweet spot freely with the trim. Especially when in the fixed loop this is extremely important.
You should soon be able to feel where to stop, and sometimes you can utilize the ability to oversheet.
Well - this is also what Fo is doing actually, thats why he added "gross" I assume.

Just my way - I know that others prefer to have it set by the system instead, at least to start with while learning...

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:44 am

Fo is right - it has been discussed over and over this very topic, so a search should give you the answers.
ThanX. I'll Check it Out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”