Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

newbie in need of help/advice

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:45 am

Hi, I want to try and get started in kite surfing. What would be a good kite and/or board to get? Also, what other equipment do I need? I weigh about 145 pounds, if that matters on the kite or board. Also, I live in New Jersey. Is there any good places to kite surf around here? I read on this forum, that it is best to go to an instructor. Does anyone know where I can find one somewhere in New Jersey?

Thanx in advance for any help,
Shawn McCarthy

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:04 am

Hello Shawn,

All good questions and you are right the best way to attack this great sport is initially through lessons. The next step would be to buy a trainer kite like a slingshot B1 for land based training and some intro videos, like "Get'n School'd". Once you have come out of the far side of that process you should have some opinions of your own about kites and boards. Lots of us will also be willing to give you advice. As to shops in New Jersey, there is:

Bay Head Trading Co.
520 Main Ave., Bayhead
New Jersey 08742
Phone: (732) 899-9394
http://www.bayheadtrading.com/

Also you might contact Dav2 Loop with H2Air at http://h2air.com/, he is located in New Jersey.

Have fun,
Rick Iossi

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:00 pm

Yes, a trainer kite is the best way to start.
It makes a lot of fun and you learn to steer and control the kite without being afraid of getting dragged or lifted.
Then you should attemp a school and get lessons.
IMO a kite of 9-12 sqm total size is good for starting in 3-4 Beaufort after you had lessons.
As to boards, the latest trend is to get a smaller twintip than a large directional.
180 cm is a good size. With a smaller TT you need more time to get going, but therefore you can skip the turns with changing feet. So you will be less in the water than on the water! :smile:
But do lessons and then you will be able to judge better for yourself, what is the best for you.

Welcome to the world of kitesurfing :lol:

Toby

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:01 am

Shawn:

Hike down to Hatteras for a weekend. The number of kiters, places to see stuff and just plain watch will get you juiced like your first peep in the girl's shower.

After looking (they won't want your help), talking and listening go back to Jersey and find a local kite shop to make sure you share the stoke. If you only buy in Maui, Hatteras or Ebay - those will be the only places this sport will grow.

Call first to any of the shops down there to get an idea of the weather first. The water is cold there too.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:12 am

Thanx all for the advice. I went to the H2Air web site, then followed that to the REAL Kiteboarding website(http://www.realkiteboarding.com). Then I checked out the camps section and the instruction section of the page. Is it easier to get the seperate instruction classes, then pay for the whole camp? It says it has instruction programs in New Jersey which is good. Also, I don't need to buy my own equipment if I take these instruction programs, do I?

Shawn McCarthy

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:26 am

Hi Shawn,

no, you don't need to buy your own stuff for instructions or camps.
But later you should, since there are only a few places where you can rent material. And most likely no private person borrows you any stuff.

Toby

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:27 pm

Hello Shawn,

If Hatteras isn't too far of a hike for you, they are really setup for the sport there with excellent reliable winds and sheltered learning conditions. Hung Vu has listed a bunch of school sites all over but includes several from the Cape Hatteras area at:

http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/schools.htm

After you have gone through your lessons and have had a chance to try some gear in training, that you won't have to buy, you will want to pickup something for yourself to use.

Toby is right, kite gear rentals in this country are still quite rare and may stay that way for a while. You might even want to consider used gear for your first setup or new. You will know a lot more about the choices, pluses and minuses at that point.

Good winds,
Rick Iossi

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:17 am

North Carolina is a little far for me to go. I was looking of going to Brant Beach, Atlantic City, or Bayhead in New Jersey. I saw these places on http://www.REALKITEBOARDING.COM Would anyone happen to know the days/times I can go to take the 6 Pack lessons there? And do I need a group of people to bring? or can I go down there and be put into a group?

Shawn McCarthy

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:14 am

Normally you don't need to bring a group.
But it can happen that there won't be any course until they have enough people.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2002 2:47 pm

Hello Shawn,

I am not familiar in detail with Realkiteboardings instructional program on the east coast of the USA. I would give them a call and find out about private instruction. Trip Forman has been at kitesurfing for quite a while and would be great guy to learn from. Also, although they deal with an area just south of you, you might get in touch with the guys at the M-A-K-A forum at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/M-A-K-A/

They may know of kitesurfing instructors in New Jersey or nearby.

Rick

Return to “Kitesurfing”