Woody for the beginner

Forum for kitesurfers
psa
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby psa » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:22 pm

I'm going to make a woody beginner TT board. size about 160x47 cm . Any comments/suggestions for board size for beginner. I weight 80 kilos and my kite size is 17 m2. KiterFriend of mine said that maybe I do not need a big beginner board at all. Just start with 150x40 TT. It may take just a little bit longer to learn. I have a windsurfing background.

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:35 pm

Windsurfing background hmmmm.. why don't you start with a directional. You will water launch from the first momnets!!!

Ciao,
Mo

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:47 pm

TT is OK.
I made my first a bit longer (195cm) but narrower (43cm)
Take time with the PU glue (one component): I leave it for 48hrs in the "mould" (rocker table). If shorter then some people complain about the tips loosing a bit height.

In order to gain upwind capability: add a 1/8 plywood strip (4-5cm wide on the heelside bottom) This helps a lot !
Make sure you bend up the tips enough (7-8cm) as you are going to make a lot errors during your first waterstarts. The higher the tips the more chance they stay above the water.

Do add a middle fin too.
For fins: just use an Aluminium L-Profile (40mm by 40mm) out of which you shape your fins. Just bolt them on with 2 screws to the bottom if there is enough wood underneath (servaes hollow building method) then you can even sink them in.
Lightweight: you need Okume plywood (twice as expensive) or sandwich build ply+foam+ply with ordinary plywood.

The advantages of a woody:
If you drop it, you don't care
If you loose it, you build a new one in a few days.
If you outgrow: just build a shorter one for less than $50,- (USD)
Eddy Cormon

Return to “Kitesurfing”