Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone has experience with the Tylaska T-5 or T-8 shackle?

forum for kitesurfers

mike
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mike » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:53 pm

Any comments ?

Thanks
Mike

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:57 pm

hi mike
i bought the T-8 last week but i haven't used it yet.

a friend who has it for a month now and has tested it quite a lot says it works great.

try to do a search on 'tylaska'
'cause people have already written about this one and other QRs many times

:smile:

illy_kitesurfing.gr
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001

Postby illy_kitesurfing.gr » Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:07 pm

hi mike

a friend who has it for a month now and has tested it quite a lot says it works great.

mike
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby mike » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:57 pm

On 2003-01-08 18:07, illy_kitesurfing.gr wrote:
hi mike

Thanks, I already did a search but the info I found was not enough.

I'm interested in the following :

a] can the trigger of the tylaska be activated at ANY angle or at a specific angle ? (e.g. pulling the ball on the Wichard should be done at a specific angle: towards your body if the wichard is attached on your harness).

b] is accidental release likely with impact on the water ?

Any input ?

Mike

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:44 am

Hi Mike,
I have the T8 and had a lot of trouble with accidental release. The trigger system I used was an oval piece of stainless tubing just smaller than the trigger hole and a bolt through the middle of this attached to one side was a big stopper ball. The idea was that if you rotated the stopper the trigger opened but in hard crashes it would open just bypushing on the stopper. I have now removed the stopper ball and attached a line to either side of rhe bolt/nut which joins above to a stopper ball. I sewed a piece of velcro to this which attaches to the bottom of the depower line so that
a) there is never tension on the release mechanism
b) cant snag on harness
c)easy to find in emergency

I will test it more on the w/e and if it is not ideal I will change to the trigger system used by NSI. My concern with that system is that it will be more prone to accidental release

Also note that the swivel is too stiff for some spinning systems (depending on the stiffnes of your depower/leash setup

Mike G

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:23 am

I used a t-8 or maybe t-10 for about 6 months I used circular shaped caribiner (just a cheap aluminum one, about 2 inches diameters) as the trigger. I also used this to connect my bungied leash to so it would pull away from the trigger direction to prevent accidental release. To release it I would just slide my hand along the leash and depower strap till I found the ring and push toward my body. It worked fine, no unintentional releases. Those tyalskas are a bit senstive to sand as shackles can be...wish I hadn't left that rig at the beach one day.....

surfing buster
Rare Poster

Postby surfing buster » Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:46 am

hello mike
i use a t8 and used to have trouble with the accidental release.
for a trigger i now use a one inch long piece of brass pipe.[one inch long brass nipple {quater inch pipe}] find some plastic tubing that fits real tight and screw it on the ends of the nipple to hold it in position. have only had one accidental release with this system. sure fire release if you use 2 fingers and pull.

Return to “Kitesurfing”