Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ram air kites

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:30 pm

Hi,
I was wondering about the difference between the way the lines on a ram air kite work for steering and depowering compared to a tube kite. There seems to be a lot of information out there in cyberland for tubes but very little for ram airs.
Also, on the forums I've checked out some of the terminology seems rather ambiguous - is there somewhere with an appendix of terms? Like when someone says "move a knot up", do they mean to the bar or to the kite?
Cheers.
Dazed and Confused.

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteGlider » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:09 pm

Also a difference between Arc ram-airs and ram-air para-wing foils.

Archiholics, please correct me if needed...
The PL Arcs use the back lines for steering and carry the rider/load on the frontlines, like a LEI.

The flat ram-air para-wing foils typically use the front lines for steering and load.
Back lines for brakes and mixed steering.

More sophisticated systems, like FS mix and cross bridles to provide a combination of steering inputs to the front and back bridals. My Mastair 16 has a center depower line that takes the load and connects to the A, and B bridals, however, the outer steering lines take a small load, and are mixed to give you brakes and mix in the effect of conventional two line steering.

This can best be analyzed when using four-line handles with a foil. You can stall steer with brakes only, or power turn by pulling the front-lines(less or no brakes).

Try to power turn a LEI with the front lines for a test, the kite may depower a little more but will not steer. The design is very different.

That's my interpretation, please help with corrections,

KG

Return to “Kitesurfing”