Forum for kitesurfers
Air Vermont
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Air Vermont » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:30 pm

Greetings,
There doesn't seem to be much discussion of snowkiting in this forum. Is there another forum which has more info? Had a great session yesterday on the snowboard and an 8.4 Arc. I sail Airblasts and had forgotten how fun the Arc can be on snow. Not having to fumble with cold stiffened valves with numb fingers is a big pluss.

Gary

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:08 pm

Hello Gary,

Wander next door to:

phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=6&481

it seems to be fairly active.

I have yet again missed out on snowkiteboarding. It is that annoying sense of self-preservation steering me away from it in the high mountains, cliffs and cables of ski country. I have been thinking about hoping a plane to the snowy planes somewhere in the NE to N. central USA to finally checkout this sport. Suggestions out there for nearby airports, large fields/snowy stable lakes without barbed wire and reliable SNOW?

Thanks,
Rick Iossi

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:27 pm

Hey Vermont, dude I know what you mean. I usualy ride ARCs in the winter and on water, and took out a new 11m Slingshot Fuel. The plastic valve on the bladders was so hard from the cold, that you couldn't pinch it to put the cap on, and the nozzle wouldn't stretch at all, so the pump had to be "held in the hole" so to speak, making set up a pain in the arse!

Bladders and sub-20F don't mix...

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Air Vermont
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Air Vermont » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:42 pm

Rick,
Excellent suggestion for the Snowkite forum. Thanks much. I can only give you info on my area. The airport is Burlington International (BTV). We sail on the frozen lake. Ususally lots of terrain and snow. Very flat, no obstacles. We have had consistent 30+mph winds the last couple of days so the ice is showing in some spots. Need a bit more snow. Great sport. Helmet, knee and elbowq pads required. Many wear hockey pants on ice or hardpack. Deep powder is like a giant pillow. YOu can land a jump flat on your back and just giggle.

Gary

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:45 pm

I'm going to Sugarbush in Vermont in February. Any spots near there for snowkiting?

Return to “Kitesurfing”