All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

the LF board has too small fins indeed.
the airush version (or is it starboard?), the 141 rides better because of the fins.

judging from my experience, the forky thing doesn't do too much.
the board goes upwind a little better and it doesn't pop as good as a squaretailed one.

all in all a smooth ride, good board for such cheap money.
(a lil heavy, yes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I remember reading somewhere a while back that the picklefork had a strange start. Elliot Leboe cut up a board into that shape and Jimmy Lewis did the rest. I don't know if the shape was the product of extensive R&D as a result. It may have been selected for appearence as much as anything else. I like the way pickelforks handle our choppy, messy seas here however. So intentional or not they have some nice performance characteristics.

Rick Iossi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:14 pm 
I rode a Picklefork in 2001

161 is the "best compromise" size, 171 is good for lightwind or heavy riders 151 is good for well powered conditions (15knots and up), 141 needs constant overpower and lots of wind

From todays point of view the LF PF's have too much weight (but are very durable) too less flex (sacrificing jumping height and smooth skatestyle riding) and way too much rocker (slow planing) and way too small fins (easily fixed with 2.5" wakeboard fins).

The picklefork Design itself works well in choppy waters (the pickle "dampens" the bouncing) and in overpowered conditioons with slow (old foils, old 2line inflatos which are flying "deep" in the windwindow) kites because you can "dig" the tail in with relatively little effort and force these "tractor" type heavy pulling kites to the edge (of the windwindow) a little easier than with full tail designs.

With todays "upwind machine" kites (compared to most pre 2000 kite design concepts) this is not so important anymore

Therefore most of the experienced riders (+3 Years of kitesurfing) i know prefer full tip/tail designs due to the huge increase in pop and therefore jumping height.

If you can get a new picklefork cheap (100 EUR or so) and you are not a beginner / intermediate its worth the money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:16 pm 
Quote:
If you can get a new picklefork cheap (100 EUR or so) and you are not a beginner / intermediate its worth the money

Sorry I meant "if you ARE a beginner Intermediate....."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:27 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

>161 is the "best compromise" size, 171 is >good for lightwind or heavy riders 151 is >good for well powered conditions (15knots >and up), 141 needs constant overpower and >lots of wind

i wouldn't dare screw my bindings on a board bigger than 151!
and the 141 starts as early as necessary IMO, meaning not constantly overpowered ?!?

>From todays point of view the LF PF's have >too much weight (but are very durable) too >less flex (sacrificing jumping height and >smooth skatestyle riding) and way too much >rocker (slow planing) and way too
>small fins (easily fixed with 2.5" >wakeboard fins).

well, they got no flex at all :smile:

>The picklefork Design itself works well in >choppy waters (the pickle "dampens" the >bouncing) and in overpowered conditioons >with slow (old foils, old 2line inflatos >which are flying "deep" in the windwindow) >kites because you can "dig" the tail in >with relatively little effort and force >these "tractor" type heavy pulling kites to >the edge (of the windwindow) a little >easier than with full tail designs.

that's a thing i never got.
when riding a PF, i can look into the waterstream created by my tail and it looks absolutely the same than on a fulltail board.
the water seems to ignore the fork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:45 pm 
Rare Poster

I need some good cheap fins for my picklefork 161, as the ones that come with the board are cheese. Any ideas what to get and where I can get them on the web?

Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
There are not many picklefork boards being made anymore. I quote below from the website of Underground Kiteboards:

We experimented with these, and decided they had no positive benefits. They actually made the boards harder to ride, as the cut-outs caught water and tripped the rider. Some riders think the picklefork tip design also reduces the olly power, or 'pop' of a board, because there is less tail area to spring off.

Chris G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:32 am 
"From todays point of view the LF PF's have too much weight (but are very durable) too less flex (sacrificing jumping height and smooth skatestyle riding) and way too much rocker (slow planing) . "

Have you seen or tied the new pickleforks?? The sintered range with the P-TEX bottom. I have the old 142 and the new 142. The new one is way more flexable then the old one. I can feel the difference immediatly when going from one to the other.

Also the guys I kite with have underground lunch trays and wave trays. After trying those I can say that the picklefork is a lot faster and gets up and planning with less wind then those.

If you have a chance try new new SIN series they may have the same shape but feel very different!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:12 pm 
If you need replacement fins for the Liquid Force Pickelforks you can get fins from Liquid Force they are the kite Surf 1.7" fins and they work really well for me!

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2