Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flat vs Big Belly Profile Kites

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:58 am

I've just traded a super flat kite (Lift 12.2 = L) for a big bellied kite (Rhino2 14 = R2) and have noticed these differences:

1: R2 sits further back in the window than L.
2: R2 has a lot more low end than L
3: L has much more high end than R2
4: R2 handles gust better
5: In gusts, L tends to power up, luff, then fall back into the power zone, giving a jerky feel cf the smoothe feel of the R2
6: R2 doesn't penetrate as high in the window and therefore ?doesn't jump as high as L
7: R2 has a LOT more hangtime than L
8: R2 doesn't have L's tendency to luff and Hindenburg or fly backwards
9: R2 feels a lot heavier on the bar and a lot harder to turn.
10: L is a lot easier to depower by sinking the backfoot and driving the kite forward in the window. It is almost impossible to depower the R2 by stomping on the backfoot and driving the kite forward because it wants to sit back in the window.
11: L feels a lot more responsive and has a crisp, lively feel in the air. R2 has a heavy, sluggish feel in the air.

Is this a flat kite vs full-bellied kite thing, or is it brand-specific?

If the upcoming X3 is a good compromise between "flat" and "full bellied" I'd seriously consider buying one.... feedback addressing the above issues would be really appreciated.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:53 am

Is this a flat kite vs full-bellied kite thing?
YES

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:40 am

On 2003-01-17 02:53, Dwight wrote:

Is this a flat kite vs full-bellied kite thing?
YES

By this do you mean high aspect and low aspect ratio kites?

Cal
Frequent Poster

Postby Cal » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:54 am

They're talking more about foil depth from bottom to top - not so much about foil length from leading edge to trailing edge.

But as a general lower aspect kites also have a deeper/fuller foild section.

So in a round about way yes - although the 2 kites mentioned - rhino2 and lift probably arn't that different in aspect - in most sizes...

Callum

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:18 am

On 2003-01-17 01:58, Anonymous wrote:
6: R2 doesn't penetrate as high in the window and therefore ?doesn't jump as high as L
That's ridiculous. It says a lot about your riding. Remember, the Rhino2 is an advance kite.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:23 am

I think that the futur you will see most kites more flat, and less with bellys - look at the develop,emt of windsurfing sails, they used to be much more fool and now are much more flat, with a big range of wind, and that is what accounts, the big range of wind.
You do not want 6 kites, you want 2 or 3 kites that will cover most of the wind condition in your aria?

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:34 am

There are kites between the two out there.
I don't want to mention names, but try a few of the better known brands and you will find what you seek.
Regards.
Nico

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:22 am

You are absolutely right - this IS the difference between a flat and full belly'ed kite, yes.

Will we see more flat kites ?

Not sure - cause as riders get better, and obtain more kites, they want kites with lots of lift, and not as huge windrange.
Especially for the big kites.

I think, the future will be full belly'ed kites in the big sizes, so they turn better because they are smaller in area for the same lift.
And in the smaller and medium sizes, we will see flatter and very fast flying kites.

But there are different audiences for different kite types - so all types will have a place I think.
Beginners/intermediates are much better off with a relatively full belly'ed lower AR kite f.ex.

Hardcave1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Out front of my house at Brighton, Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: At home
Style: Old school
Gear: 2001 underground twin tip, 2013 North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby Hardcave1 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:40 am

Maybe you should have got the Rhino R2 12 to replace the Lift 12.2. Then you would get the same wind range with a lot smaller kite.
Don't try and compare the flat size of shallow draft kites with the Rhino's. I think you need to take 2.0m2 of the Lift's flat size to get a similar Rhino size. Iam sure if you compared the R2 12 to the Lift 12.2 you would be impressed.
I would not mix kite brands, just stick with one make and one model.
Alex

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:01 am

That's good advice Alex.

1] Maybe I should have got the Rhino R2 12 to replace the Lift 12.2. A friend has a R2 12, so I might take it for a spin.

2] Your advice about not mixing brands was useful. I've stuck with my Airush Lift 9.4 and 7.4 which are fast, flat kites. They fly in a completely different manner to the R2 14, which throws me out a bit when changing. Maybe I should have bought a 2003 Lift 15.5 or maybe I should swap the 9.4 for a R2 10m. Dunno. I'll think about it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”