Forum for kitesurfers
ZenWind
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ZenWind » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:06 am

On 2003-01-20 04:26, Anonymous wrote:
On 2003-01-20 03:49, Anonymous wrote:
With some kites you can feel apprehensive if they turn too fast because the kite may end up accelerating across the power zone causing a huge power spike. With the LF Tension it doesn't seem to matter where you have the kite in the wind window because it pulls so smooth whether you have the kite in the center of the power zone or at the edge of the window.
It's the power spike that makes a kite good for jumping. The bigger the power spike, the higher the jump.
Hi Anonymous

That may indeed be true for some riding styles. I found that the few jumps I was able to get off in the lower end of the wind range of the 12.5 LF Tension I was using were bigger than I was getting with my other kite which does produce a power spike. I found that I could load the LF Tension kite up much better than my other kite, which is probably what produced the additional boost. I think either type of kite has the potential of boosting just as high as the other depending on what technique you use. The difference is in matching the correct type of kite with the rider's style and preference. Bottom line for me is there is no inherent best type of kite that is the "BEST" kite for jumping or for everyone in general. It is whatever works for you and your riding style that will make the biggest difference.

Gene

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:01 am

I would agree Gene. I found the 10m and 12m kites to be awesome for jumping and my jumps and confidence have improved since using them.
I battled a little with getting really good height on the 15 initially, so I thought there was something wrong, but when I gave it to a mate to try out he was boosting bigger than I have ever seen him go and he came off the water with the biggest grin! I have since spent more time on the 15 and am going bigger than ever, having settled into the way it works.

Shaun

gaffer
Frequent Poster

Postby gaffer » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:37 am

I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a demo 12m caution. Only had one session on it so far but I'm very impressed. I can concur with others when they say this kite turns sooo quick (as quick as my 4.9m blade used to) but at the same time it is not at all twitchy.

I did not experience any flutter in the TE. The winds were pretty gusty, so I didn't really want to be in the fixed loop. The arm burn that some reported in the 02 kites has gone but there is still a positive bar pressure with very good feedback from the kite which propably helps give this kite the natural feel others have reported.

jumps were good but I was being cautious due to it being the first session, but much easyier to jump than my warrior 9.3 (not so much technique involved). I doubt it will take me long before I can outjump my warrior, landings were nice and soft and its really insinctive flying the kite mid jump.

construction appears very solid and ezzy do have a pretty good rep in this department, but time will be the ultimate judge of this.

another rider at my local beach had a go and his comments were also along the lines of how much quicker in the turn it was compared to his aeros.

I suspect that I might grow to like this kite so much that I wont want to give it back at the end of the demo.

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:24 am

careful lad, sounds like you're veering to the dark side :wink:

shunter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby shunter » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:32 am

Are the LF tensions and Cautions still using a large single piece canopy which on last years kites streched and caused TE flutter. Or have they put more span wise pannels in.

Havent seen any of the 03 kites yet just the last years apexes and the flaming flutting cautions.

When you all say construction is way better than other kites? what do you mean
Glued and taped seams?
Tripple stich?
Good strut to Le reinforcement?
Flat non canopy wear seams?
Valve steam reinforcements and tucked in behind LE?

Shane

(still searching)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:21 pm

I think they are referring to the strut reinforcement. Not sure about double stitching etc as I didn't examine the kite to closely, but it felt as solid as they come. The strut reinforcement definitely caught my attention though. The best I have seen thusfar.

Quick question for those who have them (I only got an hour demo on the kite so I didn't get a chance to play around with settings.

How much lighter does the inner front hangpoint make the kite. Front what I understand it flies more off the front lines but I would be interested to get an idea on how much.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:36 pm

Shane asked

When you all say construction is way better than other kites? what do you mean
Glued and taped seams?
Since '99 and probably the first to use this construction in production kites.

Tripple stich?
As above comments on taped seams

Good strut to Le reinforcement?
Possibly the strongest around at the moment. Double re-inforced where attached to the LE

Flat non canopy wear seams?
Standard since '99

Valve seam reinforcements
also standard since '99

and tucked in behind LE?
Got me! Dunno, I'll have to check how far the valve is tucked under.

The canopy material is new for 03and seems stronger than last year so I'd assume that it also more stretch resistant. I didn't notice any problem on the 02's though?

Shaun

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:06 pm

It's the power spike that makes a kite good for jumping. The bigger the power spike, the higher the jump.
AND the faster you come down.

You give up hang time when the kite is flat and capable of wild power spikes.

pitlisa
Frequent Poster

Postby pitlisa » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:58 pm

to Dwight:
can you tell us anything about that last statement?

The rhino 2s seem to be flapping badly and sounds like a bi-plane making a low pass. Many are being returned I am told, flys well though with good hang time, as with any kite, good riders are ripping on it. The Cautions are a very well built all round performer. Hang time is not spectacular but its not designed to be. For wave riding or really carving a board around you can't beat it, this is what its designed for. You see a section coming at you and you can turn all sizes on a dime, de-power and throw it back across the centre of the window and still easily hold an edge to carve smooth and stay on a wave, the rhino will lift you or nail you downwind more as will other high lift kites like X2 or Skoop.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:23 pm

I fly the Tension and the Apexx kites and have no problem boosting huge jumps. The Tension for 2003 has more lift and more glide than the Apexx which had great lift. As we all know lift is only one part of the equation to make a really great kite!

Kite On!

Return to “Kitesurfing”