Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kites for waves?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:46 am

What kites are people finding the best for use in waves. I have noticed that the manufactures tend to push the lower AR kites (Aero, toro ect) I understand that these kites will relaunch quicker/better and turn faster on there axis.

But I have found over the last few weeks of hitting the local beach breaks that I want a kite that will sit right up the window, fly fast across the window and most importantly have great upwind ability as its so so easy to drop hundreds of meters down really quick.

I can understand why people fly short lines 15-20m now as this gives a lot of my above desired characteristics.

Big fins and directional mutants would help in the upwind business but you still want a fast forward flying kite.

Cheers shane

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:54 pm

C A U T I O N

Wahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The anonymous Caution poster strikes again:-)

tommen
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tommen » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:32 pm

i love my airblast 6.3 for waves. it's (more than) quick enough to get you out of a dangerous situation. one downside, it got more vertical lift than i would ideally like for a wave-kite, and you need to be able to controll the speed.
also used a few hydro's, but they totally can't compare. the hydro 2003 might, since it's much faster than the 2002 model.

Taina Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Taina Kite » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:25 pm

RRD

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:00 am

Liquid Force Tension 2003. It turns so fast and smooth!!!

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:17 am

I would agree with the annonymous Caution poster.

The 2003 Caution has a nice direct feeling so you always know where the kite is, but the response is fast enough to be able to do what you want with the kite.

Durability is also a bonus on the odd chance it gets into the sea and has to contend with potential tears.

shunter
Frequent Poster

Postby shunter » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:09 pm

Thanks for the replies of coarse you all missed out on saying that your grandmuthas undies with permenant marker flames and slick chick stickers are great in the waves fast turning, very quick to depower and easy to pack up as long as they are not the week old skid marked version.

Maybe i should have asked for desired qualities of kites for waves then i may have gotten some quality answers?

having fun!

shane

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:32 pm

Wat answer did u want? X2 R2
hmm i would rather have a kite that lasts more then one session in some heavy shit.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:30 pm

Hi Shane,

Pretty much the wave riding kite everyone compares their kites to here is the 6.3 Airblast.

It fast turning, has HUGE depower, is quick thru the window and is pretty stable.

Other wave riding kites used here are the 7.5 Rhino, the 6.0 CO2, 4.9 Airblast. Everyone tends to put up with a little bit of under power to make sure they can RIDE the waves rather then get towed out in front of them.

DK

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:40 pm

Caution is a good wave kite with good de-power, fast turn, smooth delivery of power and great upwind performance as well as being tuff as old boots.

Howaver... Takoon's W O O K brought many huge smiles to faces on the waves today... its a fast kite though if your up for it. Pure joy to fly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”