WARNING TO SNAP SHACKLE USERS!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
aklbob
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby aklbob » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:53 pm

The picture above, posted by RickiI is the type I used when I was learning (Non Wichard, side pivot), but if the wind is very strong, ie maxing out your kite, even with full depower it is pulling you downwind a bit, they simply do not release, even when clean and lubricated, they are BAD NEWS. The only way you can get it to release is by taking load off it, which means steering your kite in the water, or waiting till it hits something, such as a tree or other solid object. TOO LATE!! at least with a normal chicken loop, you can power up the kite and unhook when hideously overpowered, or go for a body drag (which makes it easier to unhook)...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aklbob on 2003-01-23 20:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aklbob on 2003-01-24 05:35 ]</font>

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:58 pm

Those Ocean rodeo bars sound like the way to go, so you can release without having to let go of the bar. Anything which requires you to have a free hand and reach down to your harness area is unlikely to be easy in an emergency.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:27 pm

On 2003-01-23 20:53, aklbob wrote:

The picture above, posted by RickiI is the type I used when I was learning (Non Wichard), but ... they simply do not release...

...at least with a normal chicken loop, you can power up the kite and unhook when hideously overpowered, or go for a body drag (which makes it easier to unhook)...
Please note that above Rick I has posted photos of both types of shackle: Side-pivot (BAD), AND Tip-pivot (GOOD).

I'm pretty sure that several riders have been injured due to thinking they could unhook from a plain loop, yet failing to be able to in an emergency situation. Perhaps best to have a loop that you can unhook from, that also has a safety release, although then you could come unhooked accidentally, making it hard to re-hook in order to safely de-power.

A consideration somebody else brought up with respect to the new Ocean Rodeo bar (push bar to release) is that it would seem to require both hands on the bar to activate. This would be fine if there's a secondary release to activate with one hand if you drop the bar.

Kevin
Rare Poster

Postby Kevin » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:46 pm

Mel, the 2 yellow lines in pic C are the kite centrelines. What is the line heading towards the top right-hand corner?

Do you have a regular chicken loop off the bottom of the picture?

Thanks

ccat
Frequent Poster

Postby ccat » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:35 pm

Yeah Mel you are right again (priv joke)
I messed up the names of the shackle types. Coming from comp sailing I use only the trigger snap and call it just
a snap shackle :wink:

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:40 am

If the Ocean Rodeo bars release when pushing away from you, does this mean you cannot ride in the chicken loop with the bar fully out and powered? I have Fuels and like to be able to ride fully chickened at full power, and use the trim cleat if required.

James

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:29 am

It looks to me that you do use the chicken loop with this system. When you fully extend your arms and then PUNCH hard against the release mechanism it releases (probably a pin type mechanism)

I have not seen it in real life pbut that what I can make of it so far.

I would like to see it though. Looks good. If anyone has tried it please report.

roberto

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:19 am

On 2003-01-23 22:46, Kevin wrote:

Mel, the 2 yellow lines in pic C are the kite centrelines. What is the line heading towards the top right-hand corner?
There's no real easy answer to that. Best to just ignore it. In this case the photo is only meant to show how I use NO RING with my Wichard 2673. If you really want to know, you'd probably better check my file on the Yahoo kitesurf group. That line is a "bar leash", required because I use a "free bar" (see what I mean - it's not simple!).
Do you have a regular chicken loop off the bottom of the picture?
Uh... Best to just say "yes", because effectively I have a trim loop with the extra line/tube that locks it to the hook.

In reality, the trim line goes to a cleat mounted on my spreader. Again, you can see it in the "MelMods" file of my Yahoo group folder.

AND:
CCAT wrote:
Yeah Mel you are right again (priv joke)
I messed up the names of the shackle types. Coming from comp sailing I use only the trigger snap and call it just
a snap shackle
Well that's exactly what we're doing (using line or trigger releases, & just calling them snap shackles).

As for being right, I recently messed up some shackle names when replying to kitesuffer's post about halyard shackles*, thinking he meant plain shackles (I didn't realize that a halyard shackle was different).

* which have TWO pins, so they can't reverse themselves when unloaded, see http://www.westmarine.com #110710

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:22 pm

On 2003-01-24 05:29, robertovillate wrote:
It looks to me that you do use the chicken loop with this system. When you fully extend your arms and then PUNCH hard against the release mechanism it releases (probably a pin type mechanism)

I have not seen it in real life pbut that what I can make of it so far.

I would like to see it though. Looks good. If anyone has tried it please report.

roberto
From what I recall from the last Surf Expo Roberto, that is how it worked for one method of release. The one at the show also had a conventional pin quick release at the chicken loop attachment point and another for the kite depowering leash attachment. So, as far as I know to this point, the Ocean Rodeo bar is the only one to date with TWO methods for releasing the bar and depowering the kite.

I will contact Ross Harrington, the fellow at Ocean Rodeo that I recall developed this concept and ask him to write a summary of how it all works.

Rick Iossi

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:41 pm

Rick I,

If you write to Ocean Rodeo ask him to post a step-by step graphic so we can all see how that bar works.

Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”