Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why Does This Happen?

Forum for kitesurfers
Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blow Me » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:30 am

Sometimes, (forgive me cuz this is due to get laughed at) :smile: but sometimes, when I set up my kite, all the Lines are in the correct spots, but for some reason, the left lines are crossed. This creates some slack in the 1 line. Its very annoying, and I have to bring the kite down, and do everything over again.

And again, Yes, all the lines are in the correct spots.

ThanX!

swancvs
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby swancvs » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:15 am

I have given this area of kitesurfing more time than I should I can only offer you my observations.

I had no idea how come some days they'd be twisted others straight but it annoyed me so here goes.

lay your lines out downwind of kite

walk the lines from the bar up to kite so that the top (black) brake lines are in the centre and the coloured steering rear lines are on the outside. (sorry if you connect differently but the method should work for you anyway)

Attach the rear line first i.e. connect to one of the rear steering tabs first then pick up the brake line and connect it to the top tab without crossing the line.

Repeat the reverse on the othe side.

If you laid your lines out properly at the start then your steering lines will lie outside of your brake lines. attach the steering lines first then the brake lines and then the kite will launch without twists.

Good luck.

wolfje
Medium Poster

Postby wolfje » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:52 pm

I think it is because when you drag the kite it is possible that your bar twist around at one end,then becomes your lines crossed
sorry for the bad english

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:35 pm

On 2003-01-24 14:52, wolfje wrote:
I think it is because when you drag the kite it is possible that your bar twists around at one end, then your lines become crossed
(looks ok to me, this is how i read it :wink: )

This happens to me also, usually kicking a line or pulling a steering line which turns the bar.

The easiest setup for me is to lay the kite out flat, then before inflating the LE, I pull the lines all the way straight and even, perpendicular (he said perpen-dic-ular huh, huh), then walk the lines to and from the kite while chanting " front line in, back line out, front line in, back line out" this confirms to the people nearby that i'm mad looney toons and they keep their distance.

KG

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:58 pm

This works for me:

With your back to the wind

lay your lines out 1st, bar face up, walk your lines out staight & untangled left & right front line spaced about 3ft apart

Sort left & right backlines out and move them well out of the way on each corresponding side - check nothing is twisted/tangled.

Blow your kite up and lay it on your front lines leading edge facing your bar (upwind of the kite) so that the lines extend behind the attatchment points either side - say about a foot or two.

Pull each front line out individually from under kite & attach to corresponding side.

Lastly bring in back lines and attach them.

Works every time - no tangles

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:10 pm

Sounds good guys. I'll give it a go.

ThanX.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:12 pm

a couple more tips...

if you lay out the lines and you need to pull on one side to make them reach the far end of the kite, pull both outside lines at the same time. this will keep the bar "straight" and avoid the aforementioned twisting around the end of the bar.

also, once the lines are attached to the kite, since you're walking back to your bar anyway, run the lines again to make sure nothing is crossed -- just be careful not to get yourself "inside" the lines in case a freaky gust decides to grab your kite.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:03 pm

you can also just keep the lines twisted (once) it won't make much of a difference
just don't connect em to the wrong side of the kite

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:57 am

yeah, but its annoying.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:07 am

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fokiten on 2003-01-28 07:16 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”