Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:10 pm

Hi Guys,

I just returned from my short trip to Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain.

From Nov-April you can get great winds at a cool location.
Nice dunes and a lot of space, if the wind is quiet strong an therefore the air is a bit colder, than not many people will go to the beach. Otherwise it is too packed and can be very dangerous!

In summer the wind is normally not at the beach of Maspalomas, therefore you can go to some spots between Las Palmas and Maspalomas.
But be very carful, since the wind will be VERY strong and the beach doesn't have sand, but stones! Very dangerous for launching and landing. You will find sideshore spots, but the stones are no fun at all.

Gran Canaria isn't the best spot to go to, but if you go during winter nd will not find many people at the beach with NE, E, or south winds, then Maspalomas is verybeautiful.
I had a great day yesterday with nice waves and good winds 5-6.6 Bft. I flew the X2 10, which for me and others riding with me is one of the top 2 kites I ever had. It is quick and has such a lift, unbelievable!
And really interesting is how soft you can land with it. I really look forward to the new X3 10.0, but I can't believe it will beat the X2 10.0 !!!

I also tried the new X-Shooter 155. I don't need to say anything about it, just test it and you will know what I mean!!! :wink:

The Rhino2 14.0 is a good kite as well.
Nice truning speed, always power, great lift anfd hangtime. And I can confirm that it has a smaller wind range than other kites.
But who doesn't love power....?

The locals of Gran Canaria are fighting for a kite zone at the beach of Maspalomas during winter time. Hopefully they will have success, since it is the only spot where kitesurfing is not dangerous on this island, but only works in winter time, due to the wind directions.

I forgot to take pictures of Maspalomas, but hopefully I will get some to show to you.

maybe someone can post a picture who went there as well? (or what about you, Michael?)

Greets
Toby

pitlisa
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby pitlisa » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:34 am

Hi Toby ;

Not tested a big kite ?

Santa
Frequent Poster

Postby Santa » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:18 pm

Here is some to look at

http://www.maspalomas-web.org/index4.html

Santa

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:32 pm

Another thing to watch out for is that the wind really picks up a LOT the further you go from shore. Bjorn's place at playa del Aguila where Vidar, Bjorn and most of the rest of the canaries crew hang out throws some good surf style parties if you wanna get away from the mainstream tourist nightlife. Wonder if they've started kiting yet

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:09 pm

Actually is forbiden to kitesurf in Maspalomas,and the police is always looking forward.
Even last week there were a signal in Pozo Izquierdo saying that it was also forbiden "skyting",next day they take off becouse nobody knows whats "skyting".But sure one of this days they will bann kitesurfing (thanks to the "twins" Ruano and others windsurfers).

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:05 pm

Thanks for the trip report Toby. I hope it was a good trip for you. I didn't think about the rock cobble beaches. It always looks so nice their in the windsurfing videos.

I assumed that people that have rock cobble beaches figured out some safer ways of dealing with that condition. Obviously doing beginner drags under kite power would likely earn broken toes or some nasty abrasions if you do it on your stomach. The other accidental variations come to mind as well. I will start a new thread to not take things off topic in Toby's trip report.

Rick Iossi

Return to “Kitesurfing”