All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Severe accident in Cabarete???
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42
Somewhere I heard about a severe kiteboarding accident with head injury / coma in Cabarete. Who knows more??? :(

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42
Here is the info I saw... :(

A bit more than a week ago, Lionel from Flysurf.com was in Dominican Republic for the Bic/Takoon Dealer Meeting and reported on a serious accident that had happened there…

Latest news is that the rider concerned suffered an enormous cranial trauma and is still in a coma…

Author : Philou-Flysurf.com [06/02/2003]

Post subject: Re: Severe accident in Cabarete???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Wolfgang wrote:
Somewhere I heard about a severe kiteboarding accident with head injury / coma in Cabarete. Who knows more??? :(

Portions of the accident are discribed under the post "WARNING TO SNAP SHACKLE USERS!!!" I have to figure out how to embed links on the new forum so you may have to do a key word search to find it. Just figured it out, thanks Toby!

http://kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... ight=ricki

A combination of factors contributed to the accident including onshore winds, riding in very shallow water to where he struck bottom, fell over, popped his kite into the powerzone and was dragged inland. He apparently tried to unhook but couldn't for the reasons explored in "WARNING TO SNAP SHACKLE USERS!!!" I understand that he wasn't wearing a helmet. I haven't heard anything about his current condition but hope that he has improved.

Distance is your friend in kiteboarding, so is a good, tested reliable quick release/kite leash and a good helmet, etc. Kiteboarding can be harder/more demanding than it looks even for experienced riders.

Rick Iossi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hello all,

many rumors have been circulating about this unfortunate accident. Unfortunately I am in California and have not had a chance to talk to anybody re: current condition of the rider but here's what happened:

Int rider riding in shallow water in onshore conditions, no more than about 15knots. Rider's fin caught in the sand, causing him to tumble from water to beach. Kite went through powerzone, kiter got launched into building headfirst, no helmet. He tried to release his Wichard side release snapshackle which was connected to his standard plastic/rubber chicken loop, but chicken loop did not release fully (caught on tip of shackle). Rider taken to hospital and sustained major head/facial injuries. He is not in a coma but is slowly recovering. Extent of injury/injuries is to be determined.

I was on the scene about 1 hour after the incident. We were asked by the attending doctor to see if we could find out who the victim was, as he seemed to be kiting/traveling by himself. Medical attention was delayed at the hospital for this poor kid because noone knew who he was or if he had any insurance. Besides the lessons to be learned from this incident, I would like to suggest that anyone traveling in a foreign country, especially if you're alone and even more important, a 3rd world/developing country, carry several things on them at all times:
check on emergency travel insurance -- I had mine through Lloyds of London and now have it thru an american provider. It covers my hospital, doctor, outpatient costs overseas, air lifts my butt out of the country I'm in if satisfactory medical care is not available, flies in somebody to help me, covers partial lost wages and other misc. benefits. I would also carry at all times a copy of ID (passport), health insurance card, and emergency contact info.

Let's hope the guy is okay and will fully recover to his former self.

Marina
Kitexcite
cabarete, DR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:30 pm 
Medium Poster

Kind of said that you have to proof insurance before get help....good luck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

...and you have to carry all these photo copies with you, doesn't help when you end up knocked out and the copies are in your hotel room or somewhere at the beach! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:57 pm 
Carry cash. And ID. It's the DR, after all. Need to be prepared.

[ 7 posts ]