SHUTTLE COLUMBIA BREAKS UP OVER TEXAS

Forum for kitesurfers
Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Johnny TBKS » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:49 am

Point is....NASA has done such a great job with space travel that it's easy for the public to forget just how dangerous space travel really is. It is very risky business.

I still think that 3 accidents that costed human life in as long as they have been doing it is a pretty good record considering the many possible dangers involved. The astronauts must think so as well as they continue to climb into the space vehicles. Just my opinion.

Johnny

MARK
Rare Poster

Postby MARK » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:02 am

You need to crunch the numbers to compare miles traveled to get a good comparison with airline travel, not launches. Statistically speaking shuttle travel is safer than a side release shackle to the harness.
I think Nasa accomplishes amazing feats of technology that is in no way diminished by the accident. I would suggest limiting shuttle flights to a few rocket jocks and no need for scientist to see how spiders spin their web in weightlessness. MARK

"I see some interesting number crunching above. I believe there have been fewer than 120 shuttle launches, of which [bold]TWO[/bold] have ended in disaster. For all of our sakes, we should hope that commercial airlines are safer!"

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny TBKS » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:34 am

Yup. Depends on how you look at it I guess as far as comparing it's safety to airlines. I have no desire or need to compare it to any other thing. I wish not to enter that debate because their is no other earthly thing to compare to really.

We all like watching our TV's, using our GPS gimmicks, reading weather satellite images, and all the other things that are associated with putting satellites in orbit, so I personally 100% support the space program. It has given us great leaps forward in technology, enough so that an incident here and there wont shut it down.

NASA's only screw up(if you could call it that), was making space travel safe and major incident free to the point that it has or had become ordinary routine in the publics eye, which has made the general public forget about how dangerous it really is and how great of a feat has been accomplished each and every time we send a man to space and bring them back safely.

But sending shuttles into orbit with only a few rocket jocks and no scientists is kind of pointless isn't it? Ever looked into the experiments that they do in space and what they really learn from them? Some things have more to them than meets the eye.

Johnny

Return to “Kitesurfing”