Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy II
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flyboy II » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:12 pm

Hi Nico-

About 10 years ago I was reading a book about absolute speed records in sailing and someone drew a sketch with a paraglider-like kite above, a harness where the rider was suspended just above the water, and the kite was 'anchored' by an inverted hydrofoil that could be controlled by the sailer. It was exactly our kite equipment with the addition of your 'inverted hydrofoil'. I understand exactly what you mean.

It doesn't appear to be as freeform or unconstrained as kitesurfing, but the original idea was to use a minimium drag anchor that could hold a ton of force (big kite) and convert that into straightline speed.

Scott Trepod
Kalamazoo, Michigan

PTHan
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PTHan » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:30 pm

Check this very recent video from Elliot Leboe using a foil. Foundit in flysurf.com
http://www.kitesurfusa.com/DZL11F5.MPG

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:24 am

Hi Scott,
glad to see that we are on the same wavelength.
My idea of inverted foil comes from doing soundings with magnetometers, looking for aircraft wreckage, and downriggers used for fishing.
The "pilot" wouldn't even have to be on the water, but halfway between kite and foil.
It is hard to see the limitations of such a "craft", but to me the speed potential is unlimited.
I have aquired a normal foil to feel my way into this teritory, and maybe one day will go for the invertion.
Regards.
Nico

Return to “Kitesurfing”