Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

front/back line fliers

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:07 pm

Okay, I'm confused. Some are saying the X2 flies on the back lines and some are saying the X2 flies on the front lines. Which is it?!? My friend says he consistantly flies the X2 with the bar pushed almost all the way away from him to generate the most power. Says that if he pulls the bar in towards him, the kite flares out and loses power. Isn't that just backwards of how it's supposed to work? Please can somebody explain?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:26 pm

Anonymous wrote:Okay, I'm confused. Some are saying the X2 flies on the back lines and some are saying the X2 flies on the front lines. Which is it?!? My friend says he consistantly flies the X2 with the bar pushed almost all the way away from him to generate the most power. Says that if he pulls the bar in towards him, the kite flares out and loses power. Isn't that just backwards of how it's supposed to work? Please can somebody explain?
No - this IS how it is supposed to work.

You must fly the kite so it don't loses speed - it will lose speed if you oversheet a kite.

If you have max. speed on your kite, you will be able to momentarily get even more line power, by sheeting in.
But because it will lose speed, it loses power later on.

This is like that, when we are talking about jumping or transitions.

In transitions you can actually have the feeling the kite powers up, when letting the bar out, because it accelerates through the window fast.
But it will eventually stop, and become very low powered when sheeted out.

When going straight out, you will power the lines up, by sheeting the bar in - because you have a steady forward speed.

If you sheet it too much though, your kite and board will eventually lose forward speed - and you might lose power too.

This balance has always been like this on fast frontliners.
And it is the same on foils like the Psycho.

Get used to it, or buy a lower AR slower flying backliner, if you don't like it.

Most prefer this style - it is really awesome how many new possibillities it opens up for you.

But for the novice it is hard to figure out...

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hernan » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:06 pm

The difference between front & back liners is not so huge this year.
Front lines are supporting most of the effort on all 2oo3 kites. (unhook from the trim loop and feel the power holded by the fronts).
Shallow vs deep profiles and "default" AOA of the kite mades much more diference. This propierties define how close to the window edge it will fly and static pull.
I have the oportunity of flying different brands (wipis, north, Black tips, X2s, slinshots) and all flies on the fronts. One thing to be improved is stalling, with extra back line tension some kites slows down a bit and sits a little back in the window (good) others behave erratically, stalls or folds. Other important thing is how the kite flies at "unnormal-forced" window positions. Some kites doesn't like to be flown thru some parts of the window.

This will be fine tuned on next models.

Return to “Kitesurfing”