High AR => Bad low wind performace?

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:42 pm

I think it depends at lot on the kite, my fuel 16 which is a medium Ar grunt will start earlier than my mate's 19m supertype which is a great high Ar kite but considering lightwind foils the high Ar Mastair is much better than the low AR warrior, so much so that a 12m MA starts about the same as a 16m warrior, then again the psycho si a high Ar kite and don't have a good light wind rep, I think worse than the warrior.
Recently a mate of mine changed his 11,8 airblast for a 16m X2 (which ain't exactly known as a lightwind kite) and now he gets going in 7-8 knots on a 147 x 44 using it because it turns fast, confused?
Me too
Se la vie

I think it must have something to do with how fast the kite flies because lightwind's all about apparent wind

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:06 pm

Cyclone and ccat says the same it seems:

High AR kites perform the same, and usually better, in light winds, but only if you can master flying them.

Low AR kites are more forgiving, and can perform the same or better in light winds, if you are not very skilled.

The flying technique and riding styles are VERY different also.

But basicly, you can not say ANYTHING about a kite, based on AR.

The profile and other design factors are much more important.

ccat
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ccat » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:23 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Cyclone and ccat says the same it seems:

High AR kites perform the same, and usually better, in light winds, but only if you can master flying them.

Low AR kites are more forgiving, and can perform the same or better in light winds, if you are not very skilled.

The flying technique and riding styles are[....] different
yep, that is a good way to put it too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”