A CLEAN safe spinable bar solution

Forum for kitesurfers
tweak
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A CLEAN safe spinable bar solution

Postby tweak » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:32 pm

There have been a lot of good spinning bar solutions on this site. In the replies to the posts people complain that they are too complex, don't spin under load, too costly, too hard to make etc. I've tried countless designs, but the key thing I realized is that the reason no one likes leashes is that they get in way, even if everything spins. So I have come up with a design that is simple and clean. There is nothing to get in the way, but its still safe. They are posted in the gallery under North America/tweak.

The first ones are with a standard chicken loop. You could easily add a QR chicken loop if you wanted (the bump & Jump for instance). Anyway, the point of both setups is that the two front Q lines come all the way down through the bar and both are attached to the harness but only one is attached to the harness after you unhook or pull the shackle. Its like the kiteproshop bar but with only one thing passing through the bar.

So from the kite the two front Q-ines come down to the white disk above the bar. Only one line is tied there using the "knotless ball" idea. The other line passes freely through a large hole in the white disk. Tying one line there ensures the tubing doesn't slide up the lines. Also when you let go of the bar when hooked in it stops the front lines at the white disk and the kite just stays stable over your head.

Both lines then go through the tubing and fairlead on the bar.

In the chicken loop setup both lines go through the chicken loop and through a ball. They are tied off at the rings. One ring (the one that is attached to the free line that passes through the top white disk) is attached to the mini leash that you attach to your harness. When you unhook and let go only this leash line is attached and it pulls the one line and brings the kite down. Since the mini leash goes through the middle of the chicken loop it can never tangle.

The second (my current) setup uses the shackle. I was too lazy to unwind the lines but its the same idea. Everything is the same at the top white disk and the tubing but instead of going through a chicken loop the front line that was tied at the disk is attached to a ring. The free front line that passed through the disk is attached to a pigtail on the shackle. When kiting both the ring and the pigtail line are fixed to the skackle. When you open the shackle only the front line tied at the white disk and attached to the ring is detached from the shackle. The other line that passed through the white disk stays attached to the harness via the pigtail and brings the kite down. If all hell breaks loose then you pull on the blue ball and release the pin and the shackle is free and you are free from the kite. I cut off the harness hook because it just got in the way.

The amazing thing is that you can add many, many spins to the lines and one line always pulls through. It works even better when the lines are loaded. I have put 15 spins in one direction in the lines and one still pulls through...Q line is amazing stuff.

Anyway, I am going to put adjustment straps on the outside lines, like the new Gaastra bars so I have adjustability.

This setup is clean, simple and there is nothing to get in the way. Also if you're concerned about looking "cool" no one even knows you are being safe since there is no extra leash hanging around.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A CLEAN safe spinable bar solution

Postby Hernan » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:52 pm

tweak wrote:They are posted in the gallery under North America/tweak.
Where is this gallery??

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:00 pm

Hernan,
Go to North America and click on a picture. Then you'll see the galleries.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:12 pm

A lot of really good solutions Tweak !

I am not too convinced myself about having lines twisted around each other - eventhough you say it still releases.
And many does not use Q-power line at all.

But you have many good details also.

Like the bolt instead of balls hanging around the schackle - great.
And you can always make the ends bigger for being easier to grab - almost everything is better than the balls "dingling" around...

And the release of the schackle itself, is so easy and efficient !
You have solved a difficult issue here :P

I did not comment your first idea (as you know), because I've been thinking about the line twisting issue which is not my personal favorite.

But it is simple, I must say.

I'll take a couple of pictures of my double line system - maybe that can help someone getting ideas, or using it as is.

Excellent Tweak - I'll borrow your idea about the schackle (or write that this is the way to do it....)

Maybe we could make a common place to post pictures of the solutions, as I am quite certain that all the ingredients for perfect systems are there - but maybe not used in one solution.
I keep the pictures I find often - but it is difficult to browse around to find old pictures you "know you've seen once a long time ago" but can not find !!!

If we could make a common place to add these pictures - then I really think we will help everyone by giving the ideas needed to make a good safe reliable and not too complex spinning leash system.

There is a file area under the Yahoo Groups of course - are there any options here on kiteforum ?
If not, we'll have to use the Yahoo Groups....

I've made a folder called: ! Spinning Leashes and Safety on top in the Yahoo files.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... %20Safety/

Just remember to keep all pics in jpg format, so they don't take up space !
You can make subfolders with your name, or just post ANYTHING of safety interest regarding leashes (maybe in the "Other Pictures" folder).

Let us use the folder in the Kiteforum Gallery "Kiting Photo Glossary - Safety Gear" instead !

Just remember to use the <br> for a line shift, if you want to add text under the "caption" of your pictures !

It would be nice to keep the knowledge so it is easy to find, right ?
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:18 pm

Thanks for the props Peter. You've got to keep in mind that all the companies now go with front line leash systems. I know you are skeptical but try it with your lines. Attach them to something spin the hell out of them and you'll see one will always pull through. The key is the lines are loaded and they are 30m long so there is plenty of space to twist and the load ensures they don't tangle or kink. What amazes me is that no one complains about the stock front line systems where the leash wraps around your adjustment strap etc. Now in that case I can see it not pulling through.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:33 pm

Thats right Tweak.

But you can not guarantee that the lines are loaded !

It happens that the lines get slack into the water, maybe pick up seaweed - and then they can really be stuck for good !

If your lines are not twisted at all, they won't get stuck.

Another problem is the trim strap - it is difficult to mount when you have the lines all the way through.

I don't see any problems with the existing front line leash systems delivered - as the leash will not tangle around the depower/trim system, because you can not spin the bar, but have to jump the other way around to unspin.

So this is quite safe (but for many, really a pain in the ass...)

fabinhoj
Frequent Poster

Postby fabinhoj » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:36 pm

how do you open the QR? I could not understand just loocking at the pic.
tks
fabio

ps- nice sistem, as Peter I dont belive in front line leash line, mine is in the one back line and works just fine, I will send a pic as soon as i can.

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:37 pm

Fair enough. When I say loaded, I mean even a tiny load like just pulling them with your hand. Even a downed kite will have some pull. By definition, if there is no load then its safe anyway! As soon as its loaded enough for the lines to pull, it will pull through. Really...try it.

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:41 pm

You open it by pulling down on the plastic washers attached to the bolt that goes through the shackle. You could use a line and ball just as easily.
Back leash lines scare the heck out of me after a friend almost died when the leash got spun around the horn part at the end of the bar and it cleated and wouldn't pull through. He got dragged over some rocks. Yikes!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: A CLEAN safe spinable bar solution

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:13 pm

They are posted in the gallery under North America/tweak.
Where is this gallery??
Hernan, you've bookmarked this forum page as startup - go under http://www.kiteforum.com directly, and you'll see the gallery link on the left navigation panel.

Return to “Kitesurfing”