Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:58 am 
There is no way in hell you get white caps like that in 8 knots, total BS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:46 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Carver wrote:

Looks pretty sick to me !!!
But I just can't get Photoshop out of my head on this one....

Good jump, not helped by the comedy element I fear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:54 am 
Very nice bar. Looks like an old windsurf-boom what a joke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:43 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey c'mon Pete B., who are you trying to kid?

As other guys have said, the white caps indicate at LEAST 12 knots of wind is present (not 8).

Ram users could help their case a lot by not exaggerating... ridiculous hyperbolic claims like "rams can jump THIS high" in 8 knots just lend credibility to the "chip on the shoulder" argument.

As previous threads have indicated, 2003 inflatables have better low-end performance (jumping, upwind ability, falling in lulls) than rams.

The myth that rams have better performance at the low end has been well and truly shot down in 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:30 am 
Very Frequent Poster

mmmm better low end, thats right they do.
thats why there has only been foils out at hunstanton for the past two weekends then.

sub 10mph lei riders i shit em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:48 am 
I can't tell if thoser are white caps in the picture or sun reflections from the water surface. You could get wavelets of that size in 8 knots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

No you don't, in a rough sea with waves any amount of wind will help the wave break so it's hard to judge wind speed but in the picture with the anemometer you can sea isolated whitecaps on a calm sea in the background which means a wind speed of about 10 knots. In 12-15 knots on calm water you get whitecaps closer together. The picture with Chris jumping with the whitecaps close together is obviously just after the wind picked up because it hasn't created waves yet and imho it's about 20 knots.

Post subject: 8 knots
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:40 pm 
Rare Poster

for me it is like about 15 knots on the photo
and where can i see a foil ?????????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:49 pm 
Frequent Poster

actually visual clues give an indication of wind power not just speed,

I'll use this weekend to explain a bit further, recently in the UK we have had very cold E/SE winds, I got to the beach on Sunday and there was a mass of whitecaps and 1-2 feet of wind chop along the shoreline, normally I would have judged this at around the 20knots mark, my wind meter however only showed 12-13 knots. But I disregarded my windmeter and put up my 12m and it felt like about 20Knots even though it was only measuring 12-13.

So it is not much use arguing whether or not the claims in this thread are true, unless you were there then you cant be sure. Never the less I think that such wild claims of 8m jumps in 8 knots would need to be reproduced several times by several riders in several locations before you will get anyone to believe them.

If a new kite's performance sounds to good to be true then it usually is to good to be true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:09 pm 
Frequent Poster

we are very lucky over here that we have a great weather site thats linked to the department of met wind meter readings that are located on the water (poles in the river)

We have had people with wind meters on the beach reading 7-9 knots and the on water reading is 12-15 knots. You do get wind shadows in close to the beach depending on landscape behind.

I would have guessed 12-15knots at least buy the look of the water but who knows untill you rigg a kite yourself and get out there.

are open cell foils thiner in profile than closed cells and ifr yes why?

Thanks

shane

[ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next