All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: adding fins to a skimboard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

im thinking of getting a skimboard since we have so many light wind days. I'm poor and dont have cash for a kite specific skim. can i just buy any fiberglass (or whatever the non wood ones are made of) skim and put fins on? what kinda fins do you use, could i just put two wakeboard fins on. how do you put fins on? anyone got any pics of boards that you put fins on? what dimensions of boards should i look for. If i decide to get a skim it'll just be for 10-15 knots in small mushy choppyness.

thanks
-henry

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:40 am 
Medium Poster

Why do you need fins? I like skims because they have almost zero drag and I can ride them in light winds and in really shallow water. I just use a standard plywood skim off the shelf and it works fine - with good edging technique, fins are superfluous on skims. They only add drag, in the lightest conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

i need fins since im not too good at keeping ground or edging when its light and will be riding in small mushy chop. whats a realistic windrange for having fun with a skim? and when i say fun i mean like actualy riding not just sinking every 20 seconds. il be riding strapless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Your getting a skim? One time it was so light I was barely holding ground with my 16m and my plywood board. A few people on the beach had skims and we having fun so I borrowed on for half an hour. Shit it was hard I tried starting of at the waters edge only to fall on my face and get dragged a bit aroud which sucked second attempt I got in the water put the board in front of me dove my kite I got up and started to ride until I hit a chop that was 1 cm high I went flying. I dragged up to it and tried again same thing I hit a tiny chop then to faceplant. Well on the last couple of trys it was okay I could ride for maybe a minute before falling. It was kinda slippery surface on the skim so made because of that I kept falling. But to ride upwind was so easy because of the speed that the skim produced. The wind was 10 knots. I gave the skim back to my plywood out and cruised around still the skim was more fun then the ply. Hope that helps.

[ 4 posts ]