Forum for kitesurfers
pete.b
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

the future is bright, the future is foil

Postby pete.b » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:22 pm

check this out k48.com, chris calthrop is doing a 8m jump in 8 knots of wind on a prototype blade 3
also , if the likes of pump me up want to check out some facts about foils check chris out kite surfing jaws, only one of the biggest waves on the planet, holding the kite speed record at weymouth, also if any one has ever seen chris sail he boosts as high if not higher than most people on the planet.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:52 pm

pretty good waves for 8 knots......

hocked-up
Rare Poster

Postby hocked-up » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:02 pm

no offence, but why is there never any winning foil at hangtime contests? Not that i'm against foils but I yust dont'd want to be to positive without nowing the half of it.

mzzl

Carver
Medium Poster

Postby Carver » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:11 pm

Dingoman
Medium Poster

Postby Dingoman » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:39 pm

well, I think the issue shouldn't be how many people win on foils.
The issue should be what could we mortals be capable of achieving with foils. Just because Joe Pro rocks on a Naish X10 doesn't mean that James Average is going to be tagging right behind.
If most pro's win on LEI is irrelevant. I look for a kite I can "connect" with, pretty much like choosing my woman...

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:20 pm

Then why is k48 spending approx. 50% of his time on the Storm2 ????

david
Medium Poster

Postby david » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:26 pm

Hope he shows it ones in Europe too...

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:03 pm

Dingoman wrote:well, I think the issue shouldn't be how many people win on foils.
The issue should be what could we mortals be capable of achieving with foils. Just because Joe Pro rocks on a Naish X10 doesn't mean that James Average is going to be tagging right behind.
If most pro's win on LEI is irrelevant. I look for a kite I can "connect" with, pretty much like choosing my woman...
It seems like 95% of the kiters I see choose to "connect" with LEI kites. Two years ago about 30% of kiters used foils including me but now I rarely see a foil and of the ten people I know who used to use foils and switched to LEI kites, none have switched back to foils. I think the reason is mortals and pros both like kites that relaunch reliably.

But, different strokes for different folks. Ever know a guy who thought his girlfriend was hot but he was the only one? Anyway, foils definitely have advantages - they fold up small and are relatively cheap. If you like flying them, have at it. However, anyone who predicts "Foils are the Future" must be counting on a big breakthrough in foil design. I hope it happens because I would be thrilled to get away from pumping up bladders but at this point I am thrilled I have kites I like even more than foils.

Doug

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:31 pm

foils do relaunch and very well, when are people going to understand that? I have never had to swim in!
Try a flysurfer foil(the only ones i have used) and you will see how well they relaunch.

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:01 am

Sorry Andres, but that's not always the case. Even though my psycho 15.5 will get me going in less than 10mph, it will not relaunch "unless" I can touch the ground. In over 10, it's 100% regardless. Under ten is hopeful. On the other had...an ARC is a foil. And i flew a 1120/1510 arc stack in 8mph last weekend. It wouldn't have relaunched either, but then it never came close to getting wet!

Return to “Kitesurfing”