All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:41 am 
Frequent Poster

I ride foils, new arcs and tubes-kites...

tube-kites jump arround 10% more in low wind, and arround 20% better in really high winds.

BUT, for new moves a foil is better than a tube-kite, wakestyle, handlepasses, and now kiteloop on the venom are easy...the kite is so forgiven that you suicide leach will never see the kite falling on water...and your skills will be increased a lot.

we can't really compare aerodynamic of a tube-kite and a foil kite...definitly not the same study !

I've done a new arc prototype which can easily compare to a tueb-kite, but the problem is th impossibility of a water relaunch.

The secret is in the regidity and the shape of the main profile.

But one thing is sure, Arcs get better and better for 3 years ago now...and venom are equal to equivalent AR tube-kites. just try and verify by yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:48 am 
Frequent Poster

There are a couple of reasons for using a depowerable bridled foil:
- No pumping, punctures, leaks, explosions etc
- Vastly extended range over all other types of kite. One of my bridled foils will match the range of any 3 of your tubes or Arcs. eg. 12m foil = 9-15m tube
- Personal style. You just like foils or being different

Other than that most tubes are superior in terms of speed and turning.

Arcs tend to be ahead of tubes on stability but close behind in turning speed according to most posts on the Arcusers forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Greg.
One of my venoms easily matches two of my leis for comfortable range. If one of your bridled foils equates to three leis, then that is fantastic. What are you flying these days. Weren't you on Boom vector or the like before?? Have a brand new, full quiver of leis in the car and still end up on the venoms on all but the very lightest of days. Using a two year old 11 meter phantom proto in the screaming stuff do to it's unreal range and superior turning speed for surf, with far better gust absorption and stability than pretty much anything else tried. Often times the lei vs foil choice (especially in gusty conditions) is analogous to driving a race car around a track with no shocks or with shocks. I like the shocks as for some wierd reason, I was delivered to this world with knees, shoulders and a spine...hmmm... A flexible structure kite can absorb a gust. With a stiff frame, you are the shock absorber.. Shocks don't last very long...Throw a hard core lei guy on a foil and they will think it feels soft the first hour but after a little time will think it is super comfortable and a great ride. Suddenly they can kite much longer with far less joint pain, etc. Seen it heaps of times. Nothing magic. Just common sense. Tool for the job. We all don't have smooth trade winds.
Traig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:35 am 
Frequent Poster

:soap: :lol1: :lame1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:57 am 
Frequent Poster

we can't say that tube kites or foils have a supérior aerodynamic...

but at lower AngleOfAttack, foils are better, this is the reason why this great upper wind range, and this confort during ride.

At higher AoA, tubes kites have a better profile, which result in good boost when you send your kite back...and when you fall from the sky...

the best kite will be the one which could have a tube-kite profile in higher AoA, and a foil-kite profile for lower AoA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

funalex::you say you've ridden "new arcs" and foils, what foils were they? i've ridden back to back with my P2's every arc since the guerilla and none of them have the lift my P2 does in the same winds, but thats probably because i've flown the P2's for a while now and it takes 6+ months minimum to begin to get the best from them. the phantom came close on float but it was such a nasty kite to fly it wouldn't have been worth it. they got it right with the venom for turning speed but lift and float are still the P2's thing :bye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:51 am 
Frequent Poster

:alarm: :cheer:
If you ride on the water go with a LEI.....LEI kites are more user friendly and have more range. A LEI is better suited for a lot of gusty turbulent wind.............

Foils cannot jump as high as inflatable kites... A foil will fill with water when you crash it and even if you do get it back in the air, it will be hard to get all the water out and fly it efficiently again......It's no fun swimming your kite in because it won't re-launch.
:jap:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:52 am 
Medium Poster

selassie wrote:
:soap: :lol1: :lame1:

at least pmu was good for a laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:59 am 
Very Frequent Poster

i see selassie needs a reminder, so here you go:

Things that are impossible on foils according to PMU and many other ignorant kiters:

Handlepass

Big air

Huge hangtime

Kiteloop:

Waterlaunch

Fast kiting

Feel free to copy and past whenever you feel the need to respond quickly to any PMU messages :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:02 am 
Frequent Poster

Half of those photos don't even show the kite............The ones that do show the kite are WEAK.

[ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next