Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Look what i saw on the beach in Veracruz, Mexico

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:51 pm

looks to me like he is finning the shark. a practice that has been banned here, but continues on the black market. fins are cut and dried and sold in asia. carcass is basically disgarded sans fins.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:56 pm

These people catching sharks to make a living is different than randomly killing sharks for sport. Killing sharks in small numbers is not the problem, killing them by the hundreds for just fins-thats a tragedy. :)

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:08 pm

just to clear up a few misconceptions and assumptions, these fishermen used the whole shark, and took eveything except a few pieces they fed to the seagulls(probably useless to them). They live from fishing, in mexico, shark meat is commonly eaten on the coast, it is actually very good. They did not do it for show, we were just watching as they carried on with their business.

Looking at the tail i had thought it could be a thresher shark as well, but aren't their tails longer. And don't they have a diferrent head?
Andres

Kitedemon
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitedemon » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:37 pm

It's a Silky Shark.. I'm Tellin ya!!!! :o

Black Tips underneath Fins.. Characteristic Tail fin ( A Bit Like thresher )

Sín é

Return to “Kitesurfing”