tommen
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ops, forgot to sign in...

Postby tommen » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:48 pm

ops, forgot to sign in...
And shorter lines for higher winds is kind of a myth.

We don't use shorter lines for higher wind - no !!!
this might be true in normal conditions, but when it get's extreme shorter lines for sure extends the upper end wind-range of your kite.
i launched my 6.3AB with 30m lines in heavy wind (got fooled a bit by the direction, the beach was obviously sheltered). could hardly hold the kite long enough for my friend to catch it without flying away. stripped down to 20m lines, still too strong, then 10m -> worked ok. the speed of the kite was insane, transitions a bit hard, but you could absolutely jump high if you dared. the short lines made the kite "squeeze" together a bit though, so shape was a little malformed.
a friend measured the wind on the beach when we came in, average was 35+ and gusts 45+.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:40 pm

Of course - if you go to the very extreme, and in high winds - there is a difference.
See phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5159&start=0

If the kite is flown at 30° angle - then the corresponding kite heights would be
30m lines: 15m
20m lines: 10m
10m lines: 5 m

And as you can see from the chart - the difference from 15 to 10 meter is very small.
When going from 15 (or 10) to 5 meters height, the difference is quite noticeable when it is nukin (yellow graph).

In lighter winds the difference is totally negligible.

Return to “Kitesurfing”