Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Launching the kite while in chicken loop

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:12 pm

I am still confused as of what is the proper way to launch an inflatable kite.
Many people suggest that it you must be in the chicken loop but it seems that too many accident happen this way!
Last time I launched my Mach1 I tried to use the strap (pull it as far as I could) instead of the chicken loop and it seems to work.
Why should we use the chicken loop and risk injuries?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:18 pm

Your approach is by far the safest approach. In an ideal world you shouldn't start to use the centerline or chicken loop until you are at least 100 m or more away from hard objects. You would simply hold your bar until you are far enough away form hard objects to have a soft buffer zone. The problem can come in if your kite is still overpowered even with pulling the trim strap in fully. Of course one solution is to use a smaller kite under such circumstances. Also, at some point you will need to put your board on and in all likelihood within 100 m of hard objects. One approach would be to hook into the fixed line on the bar with the kite offshore and near the water while you put on your board. This process is both complicated and made more hazardous if you encounter waves in this mode. The safety gear still is lagging this process and there is a distinct need for improvements. Your approach should go a long way to keeping you in one piece and free of injuries from slamming into hard objects.

Rick Iossi

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:22 pm

There are too many unknown when bringing the kite up: The wind 90 feet from the ground might be much stronger then on the ground etc. If you not hook to the chicken loop, and the wind is too strong you can just let go of the kite (assuming that you connect to your safety leash ) and kill the kite power. This is way I think it is very safe approach.
As far as connecting to the board, yes you will have to connect to the fixed line, and if you are at that point this means that the condition are ok for that kite, in other words, you already eliminated a lot of unknown.
Also I think it is easier to unhook from the fixed harness then the chicken loop.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:29 am

this is not easy to answer. on one side it is safer when just pulling the adjuster and not being hooked in and on the other side it is safer being hooked in the depower and pulling the adjuster. If you use a quick release, you can be hooked to it.
That's the way I do it and never had a problem while launching. Putting the depower loop into my quick release, pulling the adjuster and then slowly steering the kite to the zenith. Of course enough space to hard objects and then as fast as possible into the water if not already started in the water, what I prefer. You also have to check the wind conditions. If you see a dark cloud comming, just wait a moment. Have a look at other kiters already out or comming in and ask how the winds are. If it is very gusty, take a smaller kite suiting he gusts.

lndpnt
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lndpnt » Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:03 pm

I confess to launching in the chicken loop without a quick release (although I'm working on the quick release system). It's so nice to be able to throttle the kite off the beach as needed, and in some cases it might be safer than with a fixed line.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am planning to use the depower strap instead. It may not be as easy to fly an overpowered kite but at least you can let go. I've read one too many kitemares lately, including one a lttle close to home. The rider was an expert, and simply had the bar upsidedown. Is it true North bars have no color coding? By the time he realizes left is right, hooked in on a wakebooard, his time for reaction is over.
Lane

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lndpnt on 2002-03-15 05:01 ]</font>

TheRob
Medium Poster

Postby TheRob » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:29 am

how do you reach for the de-power strap without being hooked in the harness loop? do you hold onto the bar with one hand or something?
later,
rob

lndpnt
Medium Poster

Postby lndpnt » Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:03 am

I would just adjust it before I launch.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:49 am

the North bar has just one color.
doesn't speak for it.... :sad:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:02 pm

hey rob!
the best way is to modify your bar a little and use the wipika-adjuster-system with a longer line - so you can pull it far enough to have the kite fully depowered without being hooked up.

in most cases, the dangerous moment is the few seconds right after launching the kite.
when you move towards the water, hook up when taking the board (you'll need your hand by then) and get into the water - then you can adjust the kite like you want it to be...

...if you look at the accidents that happen on the water, they all inolve overpowered chickenloop riding ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”