Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:05 pm

that's interesting news.
Should be an easy case, or?
But do you know how much has to be paid for one kite? Is it a lot, or just 5-10 USD?

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:21 am

http://www.kitesurf.co.za/index.cfm?pageid=13&art=40

that is an Article about that issue

Buzzy

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:41 pm

Don't know who wrote that but they mention Slingshot in the same breath as North and Airush. Slingshot are in fact licence holders.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:07 pm

I always say... you can find something cheaper on the internet but the first time theres a problem you can't jusy walk to the shop and get it serviced... support the shops in your area especially the ones that stand by their product and provide great service.... I d pay more to know that what I brought also brought me support and help when I need it. Save your 100 bucks online this time but learn for the next time.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:16 am

here the article about the patent:

thanks to
http://www.kitesurf.co.za

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:24 am

Royce,

some online shops offer good service.

Very important is that someone who sells kites know what they are talking about.

I know local shops which sell kites to newbees and don't have a f******** clou what they are talking about.
And this is dangerous....

So IMO it depends on the guys running any kind of store.
And many guys are happy, that there are online shops to save a buck. I think many advanced riders buy via internet shops, since they know exactly what they want.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:27 pm

True but how do you tell someone the safety features and riding rules and service the product when you sell it to them without even knowing their name, or where they will be riding or if they know how or what they really need? I know of several internet companies that are great but in this sport supervision of new kitesurfers and the guidance provided by most location shops in my opinion ( everyone has one ) is what will keep new kitesurfers kiting and safe but also allow for the sport to grow safely. Its up to the local riders to help keep everything safe, if someone just shows up at the beach with a new kite and its blowing 40 and they have no idea because they bought it online cheap ( and we have seen this over and over ) they either stop kiting or hurt themselves or others. And it sucks when you see someone who has no idea show up and start asking everyone how to rig on an extreme day. I know the internet shops are cheap... but the reason is they don't have to provide the same things to their customers as shops. Here our policy is to provide free lessons with the purchase of a kite or board. I think it is the best way to keep it safe and keep the new guys from trouble. We sell at the same price as the internet guys but we provide the service and because of it we get great results. So next time you have the choice, remember that most shops take pride and care in what they do wheras "most" internet companies just send it to you....get lessons hope you keep doing it. PS I have heard rhumor that a new law is going into effect in MAui providing for Kiting all along the coast again except right at Sprecks in front of the airport..... Finally.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:36 pm

for beginners thgis may be right, but a kiter little bit advanced knows what he wants and how to hanlde it. Then it is no problem to buy online. I bought my kites, except my first one, via online shops. And would do it again. I didn't take a course, since there was almost no-one offering courses. So I had to teach myself. But nowadays you get so much info in the net and at the kitebeaches, that it doesn't matter.
I'm always happy when someone comes to me and askes me some things like best way to set up or tricks, tips, etc. because I think it is better they ask me or someone else than slamming into a wall.
I need help so I provide help, very simple.
And if the store is full with people I don't think a seller can tell everything important for the sport within a short time.
Very positive is the combination selling gear with a course. This way the sport will be saver.

I just read it 2 minutes before, that the ban on Hawaii will be lifted at almost all areas. Thanks to Kite-Lobby!!!
We will be stronger every day!
And this is important for the future of our sport.

Return to “Kitesurfing”