Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Preventing lines from slacking?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Preventing lines from slacking?

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:59 pm

When flying, sometimes you get a gust of wind followed by a lull and the lines go slack. What techniques does anyone use to prevent this or when it happens, what do you do?

JT

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:15 pm

when the lines go slack,,,pull in (alot) on the depower above the bar to avoid
the dreaded,,,Hindenberg
:wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:40 pm

I don't do nothing !

When you are flying the kite, it is maybe up in max. 60-70 degree angle and flying forward, when loading up for a jump - but you never fly the kite higher than this.

So when the lines go slack - the kite is on its way forward, and quite low (compared to zenith).
This means the kite will just move with slack lines a bit more forward, and/or sink a little lower in the window side, and then regain tight lines.

If you are flying the kite straight overhead, it can happen that it does the "Hindenburg".

Don't do that - you don't ever need to fly the kite straight overhead.
In jumps and aerial transitions you can avoid it, by being careful not to underfly the kite - keep the kite away from zenith when you approach the water again.
It comes naturally when you get more experienced.

Then you can fly in heavy gusts, without having the kite luff.

It happens so rare that a kite luffs, for the more experienced riders - even in the worst unstable gusty winds.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:10 pm

not wanting to disagree with peter,

But just to add,,the kite can stall-hindenberg anywhere in the window,,
I do alot o dicey launches in the winter and if i was not one yankin mofo
i'd not have kept my kite flying,,,when your kite stalls and floats back have one hand on the depower above the bar,,,if it twists and start to point down yank in like a mofo,,,it'll catch,,,then sheet out,,cause your going for a ride,,,,never sheet in to save a stalled kite

fokiten :wink:

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:08 pm

depends on the kites characteristics, some kites don't react well to having their depower yanked, and it may just tug it out of the sky, but if you move the kite around continuously, and don't let it sit at 12, it will be less likely to fall, as you are keeping it back in the power zone a bit. Even better, don't leave the kite high in gusty conditions, keep it 10m above ground to one side, obviously it depends on the location, and how powered you are.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:26 pm

aklbob wrote:depends on the kites characteristics, some kites don't react well to having their depower yanked, and it may just tug it out of the sky, but if you move the kite around continuously, and don't let it sit at 12, it will be less likely to fall, as you are keeping it back in the power zone a bit. Even better, don't leave the kite high in gusty conditions, keep it 10m above ground to one side, obviously it depends on the location, and how powered you are.
Exactly !

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:37 am

I guess for a full discloser:
I should say my experience are with wipi ABs, and I have to do some yankin cause I launch in holey on then off then fullon death wind,,it all has to do with my need to feed a kiteing habit,, my kite is never at zenith on purpose and I have to work hard just to keep my kite in the air,,thease are unusual conditions,,,which however let me say with confidence your kite can stall any where in the window and Wipi ABs love to get thr front lines yanked

other brands ??? I don't really know??

I do belive theother guys,, this forum rocks for insightfull posts
fo

Ps I not totally nuts,,,once I get passed the wind shadowed launch,,its all good,

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:42 am

I've prevented the Hindenberg syndrome many times by agressively hauling in a back line. This is why I like to have long rope leaders and I always wear gloves.

KG

Return to “Kitesurfing”