Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

finally got those fins on my wakeboard

Forum for kitesurfers
TheRob
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TheRob » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:33 am

i finally added fins to my wakeboard. i set them up with 2 on each tip. pretty much the same way almost all of the wake-style boards are set up. i used two screws per fin, along with the right washers and everything. all stainless of course. i drilled three holes in the fins, so i can move the fins forward, or backwards 1.5 inches. anybody know how this will effect how the board handles? so far this board looks like it is going to work pretty good. it is a hyperlite vero143. the only problem i see with the board is that it has about 2 inches of rocker.
later,
rob

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:11 am

if you put the fins more to the middle, they can catch and you loose control.
If you put the fins further to the outside, you will have more grip in turns.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:34 am

On 2002-03-15 04:33, TheRob wrote:
i finally added fins to my wakeboard. i set them up with 2 on each tip. pretty much the same way almost all of the wake-style boards are set up. i used two screws per fin, along with the right washers and everything. all stainless of course. i drilled three holes in the fins, so i can move the fins forward, or backwards 1.5 inches. anybody know how this will effect how the board handles? so far this board looks like it is going to work pretty good. it is a hyperlite vero143. the only problem i see with the board is that it has about 2 inches of rocker.
later,
rob
Hi therob,
I use a connelly 140 wake board to which I have added two fins on the one end (total 3 +1 in front),and placed three footstraps as on a directional, and I can tell you it works real good.Although the board is fairly small for a directional, with a bit of practice the handling is OK and radical jibes can be done it.
Regards from Mauritius.
Nico

TheRob
Medium Poster

Postby TheRob » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:21 pm

i messed around with that idea too. but i decided that the board would work better in a twin tip configuration. the two biggest problems were, i didn't have the right fins, or enough of them, plus my weight was too far back on the board. if you got it to work though, then cool.
later,
rob

TheRob
Medium Poster

Postby TheRob » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:22 am

i was thinking, what if i put the two heel side fins closer together, and the toe side fins apart, or the other way around. anybody know how it would handle then?
later,
rob

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:40 am

if you put the two heel side fins closer together, the board will catch more and in curves you will loose grip

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:27 pm

just seen a video where they ride a plywood board - made within 30minutes (they just took a piece of plywood and carved a wakestyle shape)
it was about 1m long, NO rocker and no fins - just straps.

and it worked - in the video they show mid-sized jumps, no-whip 360's and going upwind ....

2 inches of rocker should enable the board to start later, turn better and be slower (if the rockerline is shaped like i imagine it from a board with 2 inches :wink:) than a regular board ....

murdoc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: murdoc on 2002-03-18 13:29 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”