Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does the Wichard 2673 release reliably from a chicken loop?

Forum for kitesurfers
kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:34 pm

"EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY" wrote:

Never ay probs with the 2674 - i chose a larger witchard for this very reason. The loop. with the larger size...
I can't see how the size would make any difference. I've never had any trouble with my 2673 in something like five HUNDRED hours of use (using it every time I land).

I just noticed on http://www.wichard.com that there's a "Funct. Kg" rating (1100 for the 2673) as well as a breaking load rating (1500 for the 2673). I'm not sure if this is supposed to indicate the load under which it will still release, but I checked one of their side pivot shackles & it's "Funct." rating is only about HALF the breaking load (less, for some sizes).

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:28 am

Mel , Ithe reason I got the bigger one was coz of a snag on my side snap shackle, I had never used a wichard so was just airing on the cautious side. thats all.

regds.

Ron. :)

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:50 pm

"EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY" wrote:
Mel , Ithe reason I got the bigger one was coz of a snag on my side snap shackle, I had never used a wichard so was just airing on the cautious side. thats all.
Fair enough. I still don't see how the size would matter, if the design is identical, but then again, maybe if the bigger one will release under twice the load then it will be that much better to releasing at the actual load that we're putting on either shackle.

shackles

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:37 pm

I had the unfortunate experience of having to bail in a gust at quite a height. I was using a Wichard for the first Time!. I had a large steel ring attached. The kite was horribly overpowered and released perfectlty at first tug. I managed to frractue my femur but would have been a lot worse off if I was still using a trigger type shackle. I have used this system subsequently and it has never disconnected accidentally , even in quite strong "drags."

I cannot see how a steel ring would get caught unless of course you are using one which is way to small. Ring catching is definitely an issue with trigger type shackles.

Return to “Kitesurfing”