Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

X10 for beginner?

Forum for kitesurfers
JohnB
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JohnB » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:21 pm

Yeah, I guess it was a serious question. Thanks for any help, all of you.

I was at Myrtle Beach, SC a week ago and bought 1000 ft of string, extension cord reel, and a $4 delta kite. That was kinda fun for a few hours. Last day there, I see some guy being dragged through the surf on his stomach behind a big kite in 20-30mph winds. I look it up on the net and wow, what a sport.

So how about that X-3 for an ambitious beginner?

The x-10 sure looks sexy though.

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby F12-Flyer » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:24 pm

Yer super strong gusty offshores rock best thing is not only do you lern all the situations above you also get to swim in from god knows what distance with a 18m lei and a heavy wakeboard with 25 knots holding you back.

Think of the experience :lol:

But seriously I think a X2 would be fine and a aero2 even better but go no lower not even the pros use X10s and they been out for a while. Think of it as when you look at mark shinn and what he does is more then you would ever like and its all done on X2s. So just get good and thats it.

I personally dont believe in the rubbish of wasting your money to buy a kite you dont want only to upgrade later.

I was a beginner when I got my F12 had no problem just use it in the right conditions some times you make mistakes just be ready for them.

But by the sounds of it the X10 is far from special its just a heap of shit with buger all performance gains over a way more user friendly X2.

Rod

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:26 pm

Someone's having a laugh here, what is it, some kind of mystery kiter test the forum response to madness touch?

jed
Medium Poster

Postby jed » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:45 pm

okay, sorry for being a smart ass,

my two cents worth in all seriousness; no matter how good you think you'll be your still a beginner and still going to f*** up all the time at the start

my best advise is buy a kite second hand from 2002 that you can learn on and hack around. because

a) its going to break your heart when your brand new and v. expensive kite, stalls out and smacks the beach form 30 meters up and managing to get a direct hit on the only shell on the beach ripping your leading edge open.

b) kiting is more about personal style / preference, (thats why theres so much debate on this forum). and its going to take you the first year before you decide exactly what kind of board and kite you want and no one can tell you this, not even an expert or instructor.

so buy cheap, crash it, bounce it, twist it, over inflate it, maybe fly it too and then sell it to another beginner with minimal depriciation and buy a spanky new kite when you know what to do with it or more importantly what not to do with it.

jed out

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:52 pm

and take some leasons, they'll save you a lot of time, money and pain

JohnB
Rare Poster

Postby JohnB » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:03 pm

I can fly little bitty 4-line stunt kites pretty well. Is it possible to learn on a new kite and not beat the crap out of it? Or is this highly unlikely.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:06 pm

I would not recommend it - but of course it is possible, if you really want to, and are skilled !

I myself learned on the RAM airs 3-4 years ago.
The most difficult to fly and relaunch, at that time - but it was possible.

And my brother learned it on Airblasts from the start, here half a year ago.

He was up and riding halfwind the first day, and going upwind on the second day.

Of course it is a pain in the ass to relaunch for beginners.

You need good friends/instructors of course - I assume you have that ?
If not, I can only say like the rest here: Stay away from it !

But I would not call it impossible, not at all.
Under the right conditions, with the right help, and the right basic skills - it can be done.

philippinho
Medium Poster

...and maybe your live

Postby philippinho » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:52 pm

...and maybe your live

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: ...and maybe your live

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:34 pm

philippinho wrote:...and maybe your live
I don't get that ?
Assume you mean "life".

But a high performance kite is not much more dangerous than a beginner kite IMO.

Why should it be ?
More difficult to fly, and can luff, yes.

But this will happen with your beginner kite too.

And relaunching is not dangerous - you just can't do it, with high AR kites, as a beginner.

If choosing a beginner kite, you'll learn much faster, and get more hours on the water (than IN the water).

But less dangerous ? Not really IMO.

Sylt Rider
Medium Poster

Postby Sylt Rider » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:46 pm

I think that a high AR kite is more dangerous that a low AR kite as it moves faster and will get you jumping when you are not prepared to, it will also get uplifting in a stronger way that a low ar kite. It will drop in the water more often and if it is deep enough the kiter will get in trouble. The mistakes while starting can also lead to injuries because it is faster on reaction.

My opinion.
Sylt Rider

Return to “Kitesurfing”