Forum for kitesurfers
WildThang
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WildThang » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:57 pm

kiteboarder@pacbell.net wrote:
"WILCO" wrote:
...with a ring, that it can slap your head. SO that's another reason to use a (hard) plastic CL QR.
As for the "hair-trigger" of the 2673, there are numerous solutions, including attaching the release to the bungeed leash, so it holds it up, in order that it won't accidentally get pulled down & release. That also means you need to move it further before it releases.
Mel, I have my CL set up this way with a Split ring going thru the 2673 trigger hole. The bungie of the leash line puts tension on the ring and actually pulls it in the opposite direction of release.

Yes, I do think it avoids premature ejections 8) , but I see the following disadvantages to the system.

1. Split ring probably isn't the strongest trigger, although it doesn't seem to take much to release the Wichard. I may build another trigger eg. Bragnouf's washer style. I then would hang the bungie leash off the ring between the Wichard, stopper ball, and the spreader bar.

2. To trigger, I have to find the leash bungie and pull down, or access the ring directly to release. I haven't had issues finding it in calm situations, but if I panic? Who knows?

3. It doesn't spin without me manually spinning it. Too much friction between the top of the wichard and bottom of the wichard. Plus there's not enough torque generated leashed to the front line.

As for pin vs. Wichard, I have come to the conclusion that having both in a redundant system might not be a bad idea, at least until some convincing data comes out. I'll pull my 2673 first, then the pin if there's a hang-up.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

-Eric

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:50 am

"WildThang" wrote:
Mel, I have my CL set up this way with a Split ring going thru the 2673 trigger hole. The bungie of the leash line puts tension on the ring and actually pulls it in the opposite direction of release.

1. Split ring probably isn't the strongest trigger, although it doesn't seem to take much to release the Wichard.
It's not only the release load that's of concern, but the load on the leash itself, either after releasing the shackle, or at other times when it may be accidentally yanked (& open the split ring, leaving you with not only no means of release, but also no leash).

Ramo
Medium Poster

Postby Ramo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:29 am

[
The Naish CL isn't a good GR, neither is the Wipika, and many other pin QR's.
I have used the Naish QR loop and it is has only prereleased twice (just after launch because I hadn't reset it properly) in six months and has always released in (really) full load situations perfectly. Can't see the problem but I am going to try it again at the W/E with a big weight (Cal can i borrow you!)

The rope on the other hand broke a couple of nights ago 1km out 15 mins before nightfall in big swell - very broken kite and almost me. My fault though as it was worn (am going to check breaking strain on everything this W/E! and by the way no need to comment on the safety issues associated with that particular situation!)

Ramo

andyb
Rare Poster

Postby andyb » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:49 am

I bought an airush quick release chiken loop but never used it because it wouldn'nt budge when I tested it under my weight
Andy

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:03 pm

Protos wrote:Wipika Throttle bar quick release (pull-pin style) works great!

It is set up a bit different than just simply a nail through webbing (or however it is that you set that up, Fo). The pin itself isn't the real load bearing part, although it does take some measure of force on it.

Anyhow...my $.02 is that I'm pretty jazzed on the Wipi q-release.
Hi protos,,
I did not intend to dis the pin c-loop,,only to say that my rude crude attempt at copy,,,was a failure,,I would like to be as safe as possible,,
having more stuff to yank on,,might be a saving grace,,

MEL,,,I would hate to think me may come to blows over the witchard,

,but
I really must insist that having to make concessions to avoid pre-release speaks volumes over the practicallity of the wichard as a first choice for ultimate safety in its current configuration,,

I do not sell shackles,,I just pull them,,,once a year or so,,,when the time comes I want that handle where i can find it Quick draw,,,And I never want that mofo sending me to full power because it just is not designed for job of kitesurfing,,

WE all make our own choices concesstion are not on my list,,,

chances are,,,I'll take the chance,,I'll kitesurf,,,and I'll be yankin,,,not searchin,,,,,, like a mofo ,,,,,when the time comes,,,
fokiten :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”