Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

IKO too easy

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

IKO too easy

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:47 am

I am suprised how easy IKO "give away" their instructors qualification.Two of my friends recently passed the test to their own suprise.All that is requiered is to be able to stay upwind and change direction without falling (very easy on a TT).They also told me that some of the candidates had less than 3 months sailing experience.
Surely,this is suprising from a company that says is trying to improve security in the sport.Of course most established sailing nations dont recognise IKo officially since they have their own systeme which is usually managed by the ministry of sports.
Having gone through such a program myself (18 months, with teaching experience requiered to validate the qualification) it is frustrating to see a newcomer start teaching after a 3 day course.I know IKO are in kitesurfing for the buisness ,but does not that devalue the work of the ones who made the effort and took the time to be competent? Does not that also affect the credibility of some of the IKO instructors who are competent?

Michael

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:52 pm

I know what you mean.Would you trust a snow ski instructor with 3 days teaching experience?Maybe we should take a look at what is happening in other sports and stop pretending to be what we ain't.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:20 pm

In my area, East Coast US, PASA certified an instructor than can barely stay upwind and can't jump at all.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:45 pm

Yeah,well it looks like the best way to learn is from a competent friend or somone with a good reputation rather than somone hiding behind a name.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:06 pm

I my opinion a good instructor shoud be:
-someone who has a good theoretical background (knowledge of first aid, weather,...)
- someone who is a good "teacher" , you can be the best kiter of the world, but that don't mean that you're a good teacher
- and yes someone with experience (you can learn alot if you kite for 3 months EVERYDAY)

maybe they should integrate different levels of instructor?

any ideas?

iko

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:30 pm

The last guest words were valid I myself am about to do an iko ins course in the uk , I have been kiting for 1 year and surfed for 10 years .
I have been nervous about my own stardard on the course ,but recently have heard of stories of cases were people wanting to do iko courses that can bearly stand up.
My own standard is quite competant , jumping both tacks , grabs , rotations and sailing upwind and toeside riding and wave riding .

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windshreder » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:25 pm

To teach a beginner you need to understand theory, techniques, safety and follow a well thought out lesson plan, to name a few. In general someone who has recently learned remembers what the problems were more easily than someone who learned a few years ago. Being able to do grabs, spins and even jumps is not necessary unless you are teaching that.
If you remember your first lessons, it was not on how to to tricks, it was more about survival.
Being able to spot what a person is doing wrong and the ability to put it into words that the student can understand and put into use is much more important that being an expert kiter. This ability is what seperates the good instructors from the best ones, not kiting skills.
Fire away..... 8)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:08 pm

Kiteboarding instruction in this sport is evolving. Not so very long ago, instruction largely consisted of the "nuts and bolts" of riding. That is this is how you setup your gear, this is how you ride, go out and have fun. It was pretty basic. Why? Because that was most everyone did, the state of knowledge was more limited and most critically students would only commit to so much time and money for instruction.

There is A LOT more to kiteboarding than just knowing the basics. That is to do it safely. There was a time when diving instruction consisted of an orientation at the beach followed by an actual SCUBA dive. Today courses on the order of 30 to 40 hours for a course is more the norm. Courses include not only the "nuts and bolts" but also A LOT of theory and practical training. Why? Because you NEED the theory to dive safely. Lots of people proved that through misadventure over the years. The course content evolved to what it is today through lessons from the school of hard knocks, competitive pressures between ever improving training organizations and the spread of information throughout the diving community.

So, why don't kiteboarding training groups give a 30 to 40 hour course today? In my opinion a longer course format is surely warranted by the demands and complexities of kiteboarding. Because: few people would pay for it (today) and the level of training customarily given at this time is no that intensive. I think we will see a more extensive ciriculum develop over time that will take longer, cost more but most importantly involve more instruction and training.

So, are all instructors perfect and the best that money can buy, no. In these early days of the sport are some stronger trainers than others, yes. With time I would expect uniformity among instructors will improve as happened in SCUBA diving and many other sports. Are you better off after carefully interviewing instructors, picking one and taking lessons, ABSOLUTELY! That is from a safety and speed of advancement into the sport perspective. The quality of instruction available will improve with time. Today many excellent courses are offered in various areas worldwide. I suspect that they will only grow better as time goes on. For now, shop carefully for quality training and gain an introduction to this sport under the supervision of a professional instructor. Cost should not be the primary consideration in this. I still vividly remember details from my first diving course, 32 years ago! Quality instruction counts and can stick with you for a loooong time.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by;
Rick Iossi

WildThang
Medium Poster

Postby WildThang » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:27 pm

I don't know, man.

I have a friend who I've never seen on the water that got a KISS(?) certification in less than a week in Hawaii.

Oh, by the way, it was his first week learning how to kiteboard also.

Maybe him working at a windsurf shop, starting to carry kites had something to do with the insta-instructor status.

Honestly, even though he has the certificate, he doesn't even feel confident enough to get out on the water, let alone teach someone.

I agree with you that a beginner/intermediate would have fresh in their mind what it's like to learn, but it's disturbing to me to find out that these "mail-order" certifications exist.

We keep advocating lessons to beginners, but are they getting their money's worth, when their instructors are just beginners themselves?

-e

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:47 pm

well we have three instructors here who passed that course and all are great. Its up to the school to make sure that your instructor is good enough with whatever qualification.
PADI scuba sertification is pretty laxed IMO as well. To get open water diver you need just a few dives and to move to the next level a few more, and then to the next. Before long you can be an instructor. Same thing man.
I know of guys with years of experience who can do every kite move you can immagine who i wouldn't let anywhere near a entry level student. As a kite school owner/operator you should be the judge. No certification would convince me that the holder is safe and qualified unless i saw them do kitesurf and their first lesson. Nik who is our partner in http://www.kiteantigua.com and manages the business is IKO certified and a great kitesurfer. You don't teach for us unless he checks you out first. eli

Return to “Kitesurfing”