Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfbali » Sat Mar 23, 2002 4:35 pm

Hello world citizen, I would like to inform that probably we found in Indonesia one the world windiest place!!!!! the name of this place is Palu in Sulawesi Island!!!!!
We hear about it few years ago from some windsurfer Airliner pilot, they say is always difficult to land airplane there because of the wind.... This yeat in christmas I teached to a German guy that leave there and work for a ONU project.
Recently Palu was on the newslight for figteen between different religions group.
Why is the windiest place on earth???
Because is a bay long more then 40 kilometers with a wide of 20 kilo at the entrance and only 1 kilo at the end with by each side mountains of over 2000 meter!!!!
Every day about 12:00 with the heating of the land a seabreeze start to blow at about 20 - 30 knots.
Mario my partner at the Blue Oasis Beach Club here in Bali came back from Palu just 2 days ago and he report about the strong wind there by 13:00 he was not able to hold an arc 840.
Something you have to know about his place:
is not eaven, there is nothing there, the beach are not nice stony and full of little coral. The water is not flat but really choppy as the wind bring the waves inside the bay, the water is pretty shitty to.
One of the friend in the trip with Mario walk on a stonefish near shore and ends up in the hospital for 3 days!!! Still they can report the wind strenght from there....
So be sure you use shoes there.
No car or motorbike to rent and only basic accomodation. Can get around with Bemo.
A good point is that everything is very cheap.
To get there you have to flight early morning from Bali to Unjunpangan where you change plane and by 15:00 you are in the water. No kiting on the day back as you have to leave early again to be in Bali by 18:00.
The Bali Kitesurfing Club will check out this place next Friday, few guys including me will be there to do some kiting.
I already have few picture but I don't know how to put tham up.
Bye Jankie

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 23, 2002 5:23 pm

Hi Jankie,
send the oictures over to me and I'll post them.

info@kiteforum.com

Cheers
Toby

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:43 pm

here some pics:

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfbali » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:49 pm

Hello again,
last weekend I went myself to Palu to check out the condition and the promise of this new place. I can tell that all is thrue, the people there (not kitesurfer) recon that they have about 300 windy days in a year.
Out of the 4 I was there 3 was windy around 20 knots, the only day with out wind was due to rain and Palu is one of the dryest place in Indonesia. Also really cheap to stay, the beach is not really pretty and the water is little bit choppy but like every place when you get 20 knots in open sea.
I think I will recommend a visit to people passing bye in Indonesia for a 3 - 4 days hi wind experience. Palu is exactly 80 kilometers from the equator and the temperature is year around 30 degree and the water 28 degrees. To get there you can fligth from most of the big cities in Indonesia via Unjung Pandang.
In the future we will organize weekend from Bali and we will open a page in our web site http://www.geocities.com/kitesurfbali
If you want more information fell free to e-mail me.
Bye Jankie

Return to “Kitesurfing”