Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Has anyone been kiteboarding in Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Has anyone been kiteboarding in Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica?

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:55 pm

I'm just wondering how the kiting is down there? and/or if anyone has stayed at the kite center? is it ok?
thx

h2oslider
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby h2oslider » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:32 pm

Bahia salinas is a pretty good spot to kite. The guy who runs it is a great guy. The place is a large bay so you can pretty much get side shore conditions almost anywhere in the bay. The area is pretty undeveloped which is great, meaning its beautiful and untouched. There are acouple seals in the bay and the shoreline is rocky in some areas but otherwise sandy in most.

I went there a year ago and had a great time. The wind was blowing so hard that everyone was on pretty small kites, I got blown off the water with my 8.5 projected kite. Everyone else was on 6.6s or 7.0m kites.

Paul

Cape Cod Kite Chick
Medium Poster

Postby Cape Cod Kite Chick » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:24 pm

Roberto was just there and posted an excellent review. Do a search with "Costa Rica" to look it up. I think he posted it around the beginning of Feb. and it'll have the name Robertovilleat, or something like that.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:17 pm

Look up my last trip report under my name "robertovillate".

I am going back down there April 21 thru April 30.

If you want more information just let me know. I can hook you up with Nicola at suntoursandfun.com

And per Cape Cod Kite Chick, you need small kites most of the time. I used 7 and 9.5 (flat) kites last time and the 7 was TOO BIG several days. YIKES!

I am also going to try kiting at Lake Arental. One of my other friends down there kites there regularly.

I am hoping to go to Costa Rica at least once or twice more after the upcoming April trip to check out the conditions during the differnet seasons and explore more launch spots.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:52 am

great - good to hear that it's a good area, since i already bought my ticket there! I have a 6.0 Aero, and a 8.0 Aero. I've only been kiting in Baha for a week, so I'm still a beginner. Maybe I should check out lake arenal too? I'm going to be there two weeks. I've heard Hermosa Beach is good too. ok, thx for the info. I will check out roberto's review -

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:06 am

Roberto - I just read your report from Costa Rica. I'm a little worried about it being gusty. as i said, i'm a newbee. I've got good 'kitecontrol' but still... I've seen what can happen to even the most experienced kiteboarders.
I'm going March 23-April 6th. I've already contacted ncola. Do you know other good kiting places to check out nearby?
well, I'll hope for the best ...

thx!
Cynthia

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:33 am

Hi Cynthia,

When it is REALLY windy the gusts are worse. Nicola wrote to me today and said the wind is taming down a bit and it sounds pretty nice.

Even without knowing your weight and skills I think your kite sizes sound good. Can you ride yet, stay upwind???

Work with Nicola, he knows the place like nobody else and he is a great guy. I'm glad that you have contacted him. His lessons are very inesxpensive and you should consider it. Just be careful, just like anywhere else, if it is super gusty when you are there. USe good judgement, have the safety gear, take another lesson if necessary, and listen to the locals and you will be fine.

DEFINITLEY bring some water shoes, maybe even an extra pair, they can get lost easily!.

Lake Arenal is probabably NOT a good place for beginners, as the launch area is tight and you need to know how to stay upwind to avoid a long walk. But definitely find time to go up to the lake and check it out for yourself, AND to see the Volcano going off (AWESOME) :thumb: . Go to the park right at the base for the best experience, and go to Monteverde.

If you want more info send me a private message and I can fill you in some more.

Note that there are 2 Playa Hermosas, one in Guanacaste and one further south. Nicola llies in Hemosa (near Playa del Coco). The kiting can be OK there, but I think that Bahai Salinas is MUCH better. Hermosa is a cute little spot though. I stayed there for 2 weeks last year. This year I stayed up at Bahia Salinas mostly. I cant wait to get back there!!!

pura vida

Roberto

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:19 pm

great to hear Roberto - I'm looking forward to this trip.

I went to Baja Mexico to learn. I'm only at a point where i can do short rides. I can't stay upwind- but I guess I'll be working on that right away! I tend to be conservative because I don't want to get hurt, so nothing to worry about being careful!

I will try to check out these other spots you mentioned. I'll want to take some other excursions like hiking or diving or checking out cool spots. anymore info you could give would be great. I couldn't send a personal message because I'm not a member, but perhaps I'lll look into it. this is a great forum!

thx for everything -
Cynthia

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:19 am

Cynthia,

Nothing wrong with being conservative, especially when learning!

If you want more information you can email me at rvillate@msn.com.

I'd be happy to share some more info with you. You're going to LOVE it down there!!!

and yes....This IS a great forum!

roberto

Return to “Kitesurfing”