Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rights of way

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:26 pm

I have just begun kitesurfing, at Hayling Island in England, and have just learned that it has been banned by the local council due to complaints. It is only allowed at a small section of the beach that is owned by the golf club therfore the area is quite crowded. I come from a dinghy sailing background and no a bit about rights of way, but kitesurfers seem to have no idea about avoiding others. I am learning and therfore do not have very good kitecontrol. I would like for people to steer well clear. they do not seem to realise that lines of 30m in length need to be given a wide birth. Why cannot People realise this. All they care about is their planing experience. A narrow miss with a kitesurfers kite touching my lines happened at the weekend. Kitesurfers need to look ahead to avoid danger and try and keep well clear of others. If you see me Keep F*****g well clear You ignorant C***ts.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:28 am

How thoughtful of you to share your road rage with us all here on the forum. Perhaps this could be turned into something constructive, though. Anyone care to address the topic of rules of the road?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:44 am

in these forums there are many guys being beginners too and many people being good riders and taking care of safety.

First of all a small spot is a small spot.
Too many kitesurfers and it is pact.
The kitesurf lobby is getting bigger and bigger. Talk to the gov and try to lift the ans like it just happend in Hawaii.
If you just started, you may think of another spot where less people are around.
To start learing at a small spot isn't a good idea. Why does an advanced rider always have to take care about riding, beginners should do it too.
If some riders always cause accidents or whatever, talk to them or talk to othrs thinking the same and put up some main rules for the spot. Other riders will be interested in it too.

Toby

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:38 am

I also kitesurf at hayling island what board and kite do you have and I will look out for you. Try some of these links to air your opinions on you never know they might even help, I don’t think too many f*****g is a good idea though.
http://www.elborough.freeserve.co.uk/HKA%20Home2.htm
http://www.mediacity2000.com/biz/bksa/forums/index.cfm

Freerider
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Freerider » Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:15 pm

I am a sponsored rider in the uk and that sort of attitude is pretty poor. You can not stop the british public from walking where they want and as for on the water everyone has a right to be there. We have formed a club here on the east coast and all members have to carry insurance to kitesurf on our beach. No insurance, no kite surfing. The local guys like myself work with the local councils to allow specific sites stay open for all of us. I understand your unhappy with the situtation that you are in, but don't be angry at everyone it is usually just a small group of people who take a dislike to "extreme sports" try to get all the local guys involved and start a club so any bans the council try to impose you can fight against the more people in your club the more likely they are going to listen! and remember that the people that complain are just plain ignorant and you pay your taxes just the same so you have a right to kitesurf, but do not fall into the trap of fighting fire with fire gain more knowledge of the bylaws and that will help you in preserving any sites you have!

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:27 pm

Are you f*****g crazy Tony. There are rules which govern rights of way that all sailing vessels use ie port starboard. Kitessurfing does not need any special rules as they will be completely arbitary and not enforceable. As for begginers having to look as well I agree. I am a beginner and try to keep well clear of people I spend most of my time near the shore flying the kite getting ready to launch crash. Other kitesurfers that are obviously able to move quite competently do not give me any sort of room. They do not understand the mechanics of what they are doing. Keep out of peoples way and do not come close to touching my lines. The lines are what is dangerous in kitesurfing.

My experience is that kitesurfers are ignorant as ****.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:28 pm

i'm, not a new kitesurfer but consider this.
get some proper training, and until you are able to safely control your kite without crashing and endangering others, pick a quiet spot.

people on the beach who stand beneath your falling kite are stupid, but hey thats the public and kites are idiot magnets, apparently at both ends of the string.

just because someone is a reasonably proficient kiter doesn't mean they have power over the elements. why should anyone stop there sailing other than to give way to the starboard just because you never bothered to take lessons off an apporved instructor or learn in a quiet spot.

glad i dont board at hayling.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:36 pm

I didn't experience that kiters are ignorant.
Normally everyone is helping everyone.
A beginner needs it, a pro, an instructor, anyone.
So if you have trouble at the spots, try to solve it or find another spot. One of these ways have to work. Don't forget that this sport is just at its beginning. Everyday I talk to people wanting to learn it. The kitebeaches will be so pact and if you already have problems at your spot, you can't imagine would will happen soon when it gets warmer :roll:
Best solution:
grab some friends and find your own spot.

Toby

Freerider
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Freerider » Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:28 pm

Totally agreement with Toby! Try to get a group of friends together and help each other, perhaps go out one or two at a time save getting in a mess or worse hitting a bystander!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”