Forum for kitesurfers
Pablo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

MY board leash

Postby Pablo » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:10 am

as I sain in prev posts, Im a begginer, that was capable of going upwind in the last sessions.
as I still dont jump, I use a board leash
but there's a difference, the one I use is a crappy old leash from an old cheap bodyboard.
it is small so I use it in my hand.
it can only stand a few kg, jusy above the weight of the board, so any aceleration would unattach it.
this is how it works, if I fell stupidly while riding, I hold it with my hand as soon as I can.
but in an aweful crash, it just deataches itself.
please dont tell me not to use it, I am aware of the risks involved (a while back one of my friend got hit by his board just a few cm from his eye, fortunately, the only result was a *chichón* (dont know the word in english, the thing that is like a mountain in your head when you get hit by something)
as soon as I start jumping I hope I'll leave the leash at home (I dont like bodydragging upwind.
what do you guys think?
I'd call it a load-release leash.
Pablo

Re: MY board leash

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:12 am

Pablo wrote:*chichón* (dont know the word in english, the thing that is like a mountain in your head when you get hit by something)
Googy-egg :wink:

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:14 am

it sounds like you're having to deal with more stuff by having to hold the leash. if you want to use a leash, you might as well just get a really long surf leash so that at least you'll be able to have your hand free from holding the thing.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:58 am

read all the previous posts on leashes. It has been discussed at great length.

IMHO your hand held leash sounds like a hassle.

You should probably be concentrating more on flying the kite and not on holding onto your leash.

roberto

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:15 pm

Be careful, because even a "really long" surf leash will slingshot the board at your head (helmet required) MUCH more than a Reel Leash (helmet optional).

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:26 pm

If you are using an board leash i recommend you to use a helmet..i have had a couple of sceary moments, so i dont use leash enny more..

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:34 pm

Leashthis ,,,leash that ,,,,don't leash,,,beat you up leash,,,,leash,leash leash, Blah BLah BLah,leash BLah,,,puke just wana puke puke blah blah,,,

Its just this f-en simple,,,if your learnin,,,and you are takin it easy and feelin out the program,,,,use a reel leash on your board,,,save you tons o fuc-n round trying to get the board back,,,its safe,,,safe enough,,,and you can use it as a learnin tool,,,,,e.g. see if you can get the board to stay down wind of you at the end of the leash,,,get It???,,learnin tool,,

If you face plant huge and loose the kite the nice person will just break anyway,,,,so no sweat,,,use a reel leash they are the best we got,,,52 u.s.bucks,,,AND
I am fucking glad I got my REEL leash,,,when it gets nasty i just hook up,,,,and take it easy,,Leash are a great safety device
fuc a bunch o nasty story tellin sob's,,,,

ITS your ass,,,save if you can,,,sometimes that takes a leash,,,
I take mine off when Im feeling like a good ass-kickin,,and Im glad I can ,,,,Take it off
use your head,,,,and have a leash handy,,,
fokiten

Return to “Kitesurfing”