Water relaunching big (ish) kites in light winds

Forum for kitesurfers
Ramo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Water relaunching big (ish) kites in light winds

Postby Ramo » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:02 am

I have just got a 16m Toro 2 having previously only had a 12m. I went out yesterday in about 8-9 knots (maybe less at times) with a big board and it all went really well and definitely a worthwhile sesion despite marginal conditions. However, I did manage to drop it in the sea once and it took me about 15 mins and 500m distance downwind to get it in the air again.

Getting it on its back was no problem but the only way I could get it to move to the side of the window was by holding one set of lines (what would become the bottom set) and the bar nearest the top lines and wiggling frantically. Worked in the end but it may have been more by luck than judgement (ie friendly gust) and I guess holding the bottom lines that way may not be a good way of keeping one's fingers.

Is this a question of technique or the nature of the beast?

Advice much appreciated.
Is this natu

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:28 am

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/files/kite.doc

Check this file. It contains a sketch on what you need to do.

Your problem is most common with straight segmented leading edge kites. These stiffer kites, love to just sit on their backs, tips up, and go nowhere after that. Older soft kites would bend and lay flat, thus making it easier to start the kite moving to the edge of the window.

It is important, especially in higher winds, to act fast with these stiffer kites, or they will tumble and twist the lines.

The trick is to pull one rear line and twist the tip. You must twsit that tip to catch wind and begin its movement to the side of the window.

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:30 am

Hi Ramo,
It's not easy to relaunch in so low wind.
I've already been stucked on water with a 16 m² Rhino 1, and "rescued" by
a friend who dragged me to the beach...
There is only one way to relauch :
Put the kite on its back, bring it to the side of the window.
But you need some wind...
Oli

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kiteboarddog » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:43 am

Remember your lines will be crossed so you pull on the opposite side that you want to launch on.
once it starts to head towards the side of the window you can give that same line a strong pull and the kite should pop right up.
Be carefull there is nothing downwind because this will make it fly early in the power and drag you but in light winds it helps.
If it rolls over and is facing up laying on its trailing edge streaght down wind you can pull the center lines and it should launch.
Again be carefull it will drag you.
Also more air pressure will help so you can get it to the side of the wind without it falling over.
The newer kites like the Rhino II 20 relaunch very well using these steps.
My old ARX 23.5 was a mess to relaunch.
Joel

Ramo
Medium Poster

Postby Ramo » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:41 am

Thanks everyone - all useful. :D (should you guys not be in bed though (northern hemisphere) or working (southern hemispehere)?! (pot calling kettle black I guess!)

Dwight, would it be sensible on very light days to have a little less air in the LE bladder (what you described was exactly what was happening)? Or would this adversely affect the kite's flying too much?

Ramo

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:46 am

Ramo wrote:Thanks everyone - all useful. :D (should you guys not be in bed though (northern hemisphere) or working (southern hemispehere)?! (pot calling kettle black I guess!)

Dwight, would it be sensible on very light days to have a little less air in the LE bladder (what you described was exactly what was happening)? Or would this adversely affect the kite's flying too much?

Ramo
Less air pressure does solve the problem. A lot of kiters use less air pressure to help them on light wind days.

I don't do this, but I'm used to these type kites.

This problem even happens to expert kiters when they first try a stiff kite. I had to teach a sponsored rider how to relaunch a North kite recently. He was used to another brand of kite that is not rigid.

Ramo
Medium Poster

Postby Ramo » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:52 am

Thx :D :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:24 pm

This is right - it is often a problem when people pump their front tubes hard as hell...

This is not what they are intended for either !

A wobbly kite might get worse if soft, but if designed correct - you don't need an ironhard front tube.

And relaunching will definitely be easier when you can roll the kite on its back (which is also easier with softer front), and get it onto its side immediately, because you have a little bit soft front tube.

By soft I only mean that it must not be really hard pumped - thats enough to work perfectly.

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"

Postby Trikke » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:17 pm

My solution: swim toward the kite and it will look a big U,now you have to drive it toward the window limit very carefully. Now if there's enough air it will fly in the sky. Be careful,8-9 knots could be not enough.

Cheers

pitlisa
Frequent Poster

Postby pitlisa » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:55 am

Hi Dwight;

You wrote the following:

The trick is to pull one rear line and :?: twist the tip :?: . You must twsit that tip to catch wind and begin its movement to the side of the window.

How do you do that , to twist the tip ? It can be again an english problem from my part.

Thanks a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”