Forum for kitesurfers
Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kitsurfing and politics

Postby Kitedude » Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:55 am

O.k i am a regular reader of this forum and i post fairly frequntly, i 'am the irish distributour of ocean rodeo. At the moment i am amazed at how litlle kiters respect newbies. i recaently came across a family(the kid was about 4) and the father was launching A 12M (I THINK SKY PIRATE). goD NOWS who sold him this, as there is no naish distributor in ireland. but he was launching it straight into the power window. getting us all a bad name

but getting back into the original message, reading posts from other kiters, i cant help but think how political theymake kiting, maybe we are lucky and our weather is so shite no one complains as we are the only ones who use the beach. maybe it s just americians but they seem to have so many assocations that its killing the sport. without offending rickI)i think u do a great job) but over regulating and posting such long comments safety is discouraging kiters perhaps maybe giving illusttrations.

i know coming from a snowboard that the "lads will do anything to raise thier their profile"

basically back to the forum , americans tend to regulate things so much is this correct or not

( i'm not sure if these helps but i tried to set up a club and membership was 50 euro, but it was so hard too find a chairman as they wouold be legally reasponsible ( the only way i could do it was to set up a club through a local college90.

Even reading a post by SQ saying how he(oeanside) is the only one licensed to teach on the beach, i find weird, under irish law no one may own a private beach and if they do they must provide public access

I am just wondering how many assocations ther must be before the sport is so regualted that only a ceetain brand is allow fly..

which reminds me i am fairly intested in getting aweekly league going in ireland. How do people think it'd work out if i made people use the same kite maybe give them a choice of size but thats it basically a champ kite for kiting, talk to you all soon,
kitedude

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:10 am

hi kiterdude,,,,,
I think if you read your post you will understand the problem,,,
excuse me if i got this wrong,,,,but you seem to want to organize,,,
kiting in yo berg,,,We/me/us,,,just wanta fuc-n kite thats all, not organize not contribute,,not nothin ,,but fuc-n kite,,,were good,, its fine,,
you all in the biz is da ones with an agenda??? what the fuc,,,u thinking,,damn,,,
hey them maui dudes is stangers in a strange land,,,corpreate this and that screwed it (hawaii) all up,,,da locals are pissed,,,,they want some of the action,,,i don't blame um,,,howley's rapein howley"s,,,they want a cut,,,
me/us/we,,,,are not the problem,,,its that you/they/them,,,,want a piece of us,,,,give it a rest,,,,who sold that guy the kite,,,,thats whats buggin you,,,or am i wrong,,,,I/me/us/we got this forum,,,,you/them/they want your piece of the pie,,,,so you wanta buddy up,,,every one kick in a buck or two,,,,lobby,,,for our rights,,,da,,,now the heat is really on,,,local government,,,politics,,,yeah,,,I see the problem,,,I ain't fuc-n buying into the mystery part of this senerio,,,,,,it ain't no mystrey
No mystery,,no problem,,,,if you don't promote,,organize,,deigate,,capitalize,,,and take your piece from our pie,,,
WE JUST KITE<<<<<<<<>>>>>>you want it to grow BIG,,enough for you to wallow in the floatsome,,,no-thanks
eudiquwad fokiten

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:37 am

Kiters kite because it is cool and free.

When kiting becomes over-regulated (restricted area to launch and land, insurance, permit to kite, permit to teach, etc.) people simply moves on to another more exciting sport.

Safety is important, but it's better to EDUCATE and INFORM than to REGULATE. Please keep kiting FREE.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:17 am

Kitedude wrote:O.k i am a regular reader of this forum and i post fairly frequntly, i 'am the irish distributour of ocean rodeo. At the moment i am amazed at how litlle kiters respect newbies. i recaently came across a family(the kid was about 4) and the father was launching A 12M (I THINK SKY PIRATE). goD NOWS who sold him this, as there is no naish distributor in ireland. but he was launching it straight into the power window. getting us all a bad name

but getting back into the original message, reading posts from other kiters, i cant help but think how political theymake kiting, maybe we are lucky and our weather is so shite no one complains as we are the only ones who use the beach. maybe it s just americians but they seem to have so many assocations that its killing the sport. without offending rickI)i think u do a great job) but over regulating and posting such long comments safety is discouraging kiters perhaps maybe giving illusttrations.

i know coming from a snowboard that the "lads will do anything to raise thier their profile"

basically back to the forum , americans tend to regulate things so much is this correct or not

( i'm not sure if these helps but i tried to set up a club and membership was 50 euro, but it was so hard too find a chairman as they wouold be legally reasponsible ( the only way i could do it was to set up a club through a local college90.

Even reading a post by SQ saying how he(oeanside) is the only one licensed to teach on the beach, i find weird, under irish law no one may own a private beach and if they do they must provide public access

I am just wondering how many assocations ther must be before the sport is so regualted that only a ceetain brand is allow fly..

which reminds me i am fairly intested in getting aweekly league going in ireland. How do people think it'd work out if i made people use the same kite maybe give them a choice of size but thats it basically a champ kite for kiting, talk to you all soon,
kitedude
To fill you in on things in America, associations don't have the power to regulate ANYTHING, as a rule. Government does. If government sees and hears about chronic issues with kiteboarders they have a choice. They can regulate it or ban it. This has happened in many countries such as Switzerland, Austria, to name only two and reportedly has been considered in many others. Many countries now have kiteboarding associations including many Commonwealth countries and I have yet to hear of a case where one caused a ban. Have you?

What inducement and resources for that matter, does government have to devote to regulating kiteboarding. None that I am aware of in the USA. Perhaps funds and incentive are present in other countries. So, if we annoy and/or concern government enough, they may well pull the plug on our great sport.

To state that associations are responsible for bans absurd as they exist to try to avoid such things from coming to pass. It seems that you are advocating not talking about or spreading awareness of hazards in this sport among kiteboarders. Things that can kill and injure riders and are not common knowledge yet. As to promoting a given brand of product, where are you getting your information from? No such thing goes on in Florida or in other areasin the USA to my knowledge.

This is a sport where what you don't know or appreciate can injure. Lack of knowledge as in the days of early hang gliding, SCUBA diving and other such sports took a serious toll. Knowledge is power and will help you to get the maximum joy out of this great sport and reduce the chance of injury. Do you choose ignorance or knowledge? You have concerns about access and other things, which is a good thing. Please take the time to carefully analyze causes and SOLUTIONS, scapegoating associations, the ONLY organizations that exist to promote continued access doesn't sound like a productive avenue.
Last edited by RickI on Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:34 am

Who you talking to Rick?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:42 am

I have edited the post, it should be clearer now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”